Microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometer

In summary, the speaker is working on designing an electron spin resonance/electron paramagnetic resonance spectrometer and is looking for a suitable material for the sample holding rod in an X-band waveguide cavity. They are considering using teflon, styrene, or fused quartz due to their low dielectric constant and low loss tangent. However, they acknowledge that retuning of the cavity may be necessary when moving anything inside.
C.Braestrup
Hi! Completely forgot about this great forum!

I'm designing an electron spin resonance /electron paramagnetic resonance spectrometer, as an easier vacation from my diy NMR - while still utilizing much of the same setup.

Issue is; I have an X-band (~12GHz) waveguide cavity in a magnet, and I need to be able to adjust the position of a sample in that waveguide without ruining or detuning my cavity. There'll be a bushing in one of the WG shorts with which to rotate the sample eccentrically, but what material should the sample holding rod be?

I'm not really keen on making it from beryllia... The article I'm kinda following is putting the sample ions in a MgO matrix, would a little sintered MgO rod be the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are impressive DIY projects! I would think a low dielectric constant is desirable to minimize detuning, and a low loss tangent is necessary to keep the cavity Q high. I suggest starting with teflon, which has that combination, or looking at styrene or fused quartz if you need a more rigid material. Your cavity will probably need to be retuned if you move anything inside, no matter what.

1. What is a microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometer?

A microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometer is a material that allows for the passage of microwaves without significant absorption or distortion. This is important for ESR/EPR spectrometers as they use microwaves to excite and analyze the spins of electrons in a sample.

2. How does a microwave transparent material affect the accuracy of ESR/EPR spectrometer readings?

The choice of microwave transparent material can greatly impact the accuracy of ESR/EPR spectrometer readings. If the material is not transparent to microwaves, it can cause distortion and absorption of the signal, leading to inaccurate readings. Therefore, it is crucial to choose a material with high microwave transparency for optimal results.

3. What are some commonly used microwave transparent materials for ESR/EPR spectrometers?

Some commonly used microwave transparent materials for ESR/EPR spectrometers include quartz, sapphire, and high-density polyethylene (HDPE). These materials have low absorption and distortion of microwaves, making them ideal for use in spectrometers.

4. Are there any considerations when choosing a microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometers?

Yes, there are several considerations when choosing a microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometers. These include the frequency range of the microwaves used in the spectrometer, the compatibility of the material with the sample, and the cost and availability of the material.

5. Can a sample material affect the choice of microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometers?

Yes, the sample material can affect the choice of microwave transparent material for ESR/EPR spectrometers. For example, if the sample is sensitive to certain materials, it may limit the options for microwave transparent materials that can be used. It is essential to consider the compatibility of the sample and the material to ensure accurate results.

Back