Min. and max. mass to keep pulley system stationary

In summary, the system stays stationary when the maximum and minimum masses of block B are both reached.
Alexstrasza

Homework Statement

The pulley system is stationary. What is the maximum and minimum mass of block B to keep the system stationary?

We know that:

Mass of A = 100 kg
Angle = 45 degrees
μ = 0.1

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for the system to stay stationary the forces in both directions must be equal. I also know that the maximum mass of B is when the system almost slides to the left, and minimum is when it almost slides to the right.

I'm not sure how to use the equation for minimum or maximum.

I thought the equation for moving to the left direction would be:

(mass of B)(gravity) - T = T - sin(45)(mass of A)(gravity) - Force of friction

But then how would we find T? And is this the right equation for the maximum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Alexstrasza, :welcome:

Do you know how to calculate the maximum friction force from the given information ?
And which way can it work ?

Likes Alexstrasza
BvU said:
Hello Alexstrasza, :welcome:

Do you know how to calculate the maximum friction force from the given information ?
And which way can it work ?

Thank you. :)

I tried to find the force of friction = μ * (F normal) = 0.1 * (cos(45)mg) = 70.7 N

But I don't know how to find maximum or minimum friction force. What is the range? Given that the coefficient of friction is 0.1 I would assume that is the maximum but what is the minimum? 0?

Alexstrasza said:
I thought the equation for moving to the left direction would be:

(mass of B)(gravity) - T = T - sin(45)(mass of A)(gravity) - Force of friction

But then how would we find T? And is this the right equation for the maximum?
The two blocks do not "know" about each other. Each moves or stays put according to the forces acting directly on it. This gives two equations, not one.

Likes Alexstrasza
haruspex said:
The two blocks do not "know" about each other. Each moves or stays put according to the forces acting directly on it. This gives two equations, not one.

Thank you!

I wrote new equations and I think I solved it.

1) For maximum mass, the direction of block B pulling down is positive, so:

(mass of B)(g) = T
T = sin(45)(mass pf A)(g) + friction force = 707.1 + 70.7

(mass of B)(g) = 777.8
mass of B = 77.78 kg (our teacher allows us to use 10 m/s^2 for gravity instead of 9.8)

2) For minimum mass, the direction is flipped and so is the friction force, so I got:

sin(45)(mass of A)(g) - friction force = T
T = (mass of B)(g)

(mass of B)(g) = 636.4
mass of B = 63.64 kg

Please let me know if this is correct.

Excellent ! Well done :smile:.

--

Likes Alexstrasza

1. What is the minimum mass required to keep a pulley system stationary?

The minimum mass needed to keep a pulley system stationary is determined by the tension in the system. As long as the tension in the rope or cable is greater than the weight of the object being lifted, the pulley system will remain stationary.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the minimum mass needed to keep a pulley system stationary?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the minimum mass required to keep it stationary. The tension in the rope or cable is still the determining factor.

3. Can the minimum mass needed to keep a pulley system stationary change?

Yes, the minimum mass required to keep a pulley system stationary can change if the tension in the rope or cable changes. For example, if the weight being lifted increases, the tension in the rope will increase, and the minimum mass needed to keep the system stationary will also increase.

4. Is there a maximum mass that can be lifted using a pulley system?

Technically, there is no maximum mass that can be lifted using a pulley system. However, the more weight that is added to the system, the greater the tension will be in the rope or cable. This tension can become too great for the system to handle, causing it to break or malfunction.

5. How does friction affect the minimum mass needed to keep a pulley system stationary?

Friction in a pulley system can decrease the tension in the rope or cable, making it more difficult to keep the system stationary. This means that a greater minimum mass may be needed to keep the system from moving. It is important to consider friction when designing a pulley system to ensure it can handle the necessary weight.