Mind boggling attempt to apply Newton's 3rd law

In summary: So in a sense, the EM field is like a battery, storing energy until it is needed.But if you are in a static situation then Newton's 3rd law will apply because the momentum of the field will be constant.Momentum is conserved in a static situation.
PhiowPhi
In classical mechanics, it's pretty straight forward for me to apply it(sometimes...), and really intuitive to picture it. However, when I kick it up a notch... to apply Newton's 3rd law in electrodynamics, my brain malfunctions...

Simplest example I can think of, a conductor carrying a wire placed inside a magnetic field like so:
d1boi0Y.jpg

This diagram shows it all, when current flows in the conductor perpendicular to the magnetic field of the magnet, there is a Lorentz force created. What is the action? The Lorentz force? What is the reaction then... a magnetic force acting on the magnet :confused:?

Another example, instead of using a permanent magnet which has a complexity of it's own(with magnetic moment) let's use two wires like so:

foto-E128_SKETCH-F.JPE

This example I think is easier for me to apply Newton's 3rd law, due to the current flow of each wire and their magnetic fields they both have equal and opposing forces acting on one another? I mean, if the blue wire attracts the green wire, likewise the green wire will attract the blue wire and vice versa in the case of repulsion due to the opposite current flows. So, the Lorentz force is the action and reaction force in such systems?

I've read other thread related to this topic, some members related momentum to this, and how it will be conserved can someone please explain that point too?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the magnet is held in place then the force on the wire will make the wire move, if the wire is a rigid bar (of copper) and the magnet is free to move then the magnet will move due to the force.

lychette said:
If the magnet is held in place then the force on the wire will make the wire move, if the wire is a rigid bar (of copper) and the magnet is free to move then the magnet will move due to the force.

What is the specific reaction force acting on the magnet. Is it a repulsive magnetic force due to the conductor's magnetic field(N/S)?

PhiowPhi said:
to apply Newton's 3rd law in electrodynamics
Newton's 3rd law doesn't always apply in electrodynamics. Newton's 3rd law is a statement about the conservation of momentum, but the EM field also carries momentum. So you can get situations where mechanical momentum is not conserved because momentum is being transferred from the matter to the fields.

However, if you are in a static situation then Newton's 3rd law will apply because the momentum of the field will be constant.

PhiowPhi said:
there is a Lorentz force created. What is the action? The Lorentz force? What is the reaction then... a magnetic force acting on the magnet :confused:?
Yes.

PhiowPhi said:
So, the Lorentz force is the action and reaction force in such systems?
Yes.

You may be getting worried about the "action" and "reaction" labels. Those are completely arbitrary. The point is that there is a pair of forces which are equal and opposite. Which one you choose to label as the "action" and the one you choose to label as the "reaction" is a matter of personal taste, not physics.

Likes PhiowPhi
DaleSpam said:
Newton's 3rd law doesn't always apply in electrodynamics. Newton's 3rd law is a statement about the conservation of momentum, but the EM field also carries momentum. So you can get situations where mechanical momentum is not conserved because momentum is being transferred from the matter to the fields.

That makes sense, because EM fields can carry energy too.

What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

How does this law apply to everyday situations?

This law can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when you push against a wall and feel the wall pushing back on you, or when you jump off a diving board and the board pushes you back up.

What is a mind boggling attempt to apply Newton's 3rd law?

A mind boggling attempt to apply Newton's 3rd law would involve trying to use this law in a complex or seemingly impossible scenario, such as trying to create perpetual motion or designing a flying machine that uses the principle of equal and opposite forces.

What are some challenges in applying this law in scientific experiments?

One challenge in applying this law in scientific experiments is accurately measuring and controlling the forces involved. Another challenge is accounting for external factors that may affect the results, such as friction or air resistance.

Can this law be violated or disproven?

No, Newton's 3rd law has been extensively tested and has been proven to hold true in a wide range of situations. However, there may be instances where it appears to be violated, but this is often due to external factors that were not taken into account or a misunderstanding of the law itself.