Miniature nuclear reactor as a project?

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of building a miniature nuclear reactor as a science project. However, it was concluded that it is not safe or appropriate for a student to do so and suggested alternative projects. The conversation also touched on the discovery and history of elements involved in nuclear reactors. The thread was ultimately locked to prevent further discussion on the topic.
Karthikthe
i have desided to make a miniature nuclear reactor as my science project .i beg the helps from all physicsforum members...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I remember seeing a thread like this before. The conclusion made then was that it is not safe for a student to make a nuclear reactor. Perhaps you should look at making something else for your science project.

Karthikthe said:
i have desided to make a miniature nuclear reactor as my science project .i beg the helps from all physicsforum members...
Karthikthe,

FORGET IT!

A true critical nuclear reactor is INAPPROPRIATE as a science project.

It's beyond the technical competence of someone doing science projects, it's not safe
without the requisite expertise, it's too expensive and it's ILLEGAL!

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

This discussion is hilarious !

Hopefully, you ain't trying anything with uranium-238 or thorium.

I really don't know if this could be possible, but you could try americium that you can find from smoke detectors. I believe over some 70 years or so, it turns useless for your purpose as it decays into neptunium. Moral? Buy new smoke alarms! (Well, I don't think there were smoke alarms back in 1940. If there were, they're going to be rare out now)

As for the "americium reactor" (no naming credits accepted), you can try bombarding the electrons onto the americium using a cathode ray tube (silly idea, I must say. But you never know, it just might work).

Let's see if anyone can rectify this post (if wrong, of course) and discuss the "reactor".

The first artificial, self-sustaining, nuclear chain reaction was initiated within CP-1, on December 2, 1942.

Americium was first obtained in 1944 by Seaborg et al who were bombarding plutonium with neutrons. Neptunium and plutonium were discovered in 1940, and curium was discovered in 1944 shortly before americium was confirmed.

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1951 was awarded jointly to Edwin Mattison McMillan and Glenn Theodore Seaborg "for their discoveries in the chemistry of the transuranium elements"
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/1951/index.html
http://www.osti.gov/cgi-bin/rd_accomplishments/display_biblio.cgi?id=ACC0048&numPages=42&fp=N

The New Element Americium (Atomic Number 95)
http://www.osti.gov/cgi-bin/rd_accomplishments/display_biblio.cgi?id=ACC0046&numPages=43&fp=N

The New Element Curium (Atomic Number 96)
http://www.osti.gov/cgi-bin/rd_accomplishments/display_biblio.cgi?id=ACC0049&numPages=13&fp=N

http://isswprod.lbl.gov/Seaborg/bio.htm

There is no need to discuss reactor concepts that students can build. There are other appropriate threads in which to discuss reactor technology. Thread locked.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a miniature nuclear reactor?

A miniature nuclear reactor is a small-scale nuclear power plant that generates electricity by using nuclear fission reactions. It is typically designed to produce less than 20 megawatts of electricity, making it smaller than traditional nuclear reactors.

What are the benefits of using a miniature nuclear reactor as a project?

One of the main benefits of a miniature nuclear reactor is its small size, which allows it to be more easily transported and installed. It also has a lower cost and can be built in remote locations, making it a versatile and efficient source of energy.

How safe are miniature nuclear reactors?

Miniature nuclear reactors are designed with safety as a top priority. They use advanced technology and multiple layers of safety features to prevent accidents and minimize the impact of any potential incidents. Additionally, these reactors require less uranium and produce less waste, making them a more environmentally friendly option.

What challenges are associated with building a miniature nuclear reactor?

One of the main challenges of building a miniature nuclear reactor is obtaining regulatory approval and permits. These reactors also require highly specialized and trained personnel to operate and maintain them. Additionally, there may be public perception challenges to overcome, as some may have concerns about the safety of nuclear power.

What are the potential applications of miniature nuclear reactors?

Miniature nuclear reactors can have a wide range of applications, including providing electricity to remote or off-grid communities, powering military bases and installations, and supporting space exploration missions. They can also be used as a backup power source for critical infrastructure, such as hospitals and data centers.