What actually happens to the U-238 part of fuel in a nuclear reactor?

oblong-pea
TL;DR Summary
I know U-235 is the fissile part, but what happens to the U-238 parts during reaction and after?
So I'm aware that uranium 235 is the fissile isotope which is used in fuel for most reactors (about 3% of all uranium fuel for example), but what actually happens to the other 97% of the U-238 if it doesn't undergo fission?

I get some of it absorbs neutrons making it U-239? But I've also seen it can become Plutonium-239? But what actually happens to the rest, does it lay dormant and non-fissile? And how do they know when the fuel is depleted?

Engineering news on Phys.org
oblong-pea said:
I get some of it absorbs neutrons making it U-239? But I've also seen it can become Plutonium-239?
U-239 undergoes two beta decays, with halflife about 24 minutes to become Np-239 and then half-life about 28 hours to become Pu-239.

U-238 can fission when hit by a fast neutron. U-238 can't maintain a chain reaction, but it's a side reaction that contributes a few percent (typically) to the output of a nuclear reactor.

U-238 can absorb a neutron and become U-239 which quickly decays to Pu-239. That's a good reactor fuel, similar to U-235, and fission of that can be a significant contribution to the power in a reactor.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
For commercial reactors, most of it stays where it is and what it is.

• Informative
Likes Alex A, Lord Jestocost and Astronuc
oblong-pea said:
TL;DR Summary: I know U-235 is the fissile part, but what happens to the U-238 parts during reaction and after?

So I'm aware that uranium 235 is the fissile isotope which is used in fuel for most reactors (about 3% of all uranium fuel for example), but what actually happens to the other 97% of the U-238 if it doesn't undergo fission?

I get some of it absorbs neutrons making it U-239? But I've also seen it can become Plutonium-239? But what actually happens to the rest, does it lay dormant and non-fissile? And how do they know when the fuel is depleted?
Some 238U fissions from fast neutrons, which provide about 7-8% of all fissions, and some of 238U aborbs a neutron and become 239U, which undergoes successive beta decay to 239Np to 239Pu, and 239Pu is quite fissile, and provides a considerable fraction of fissions as 235U depletes. Modern power reactors use enrichments up 4.95% (less than 5% - some uncertainty). Typical burnups are up to 50 to 60 GWd/tU, or about 5 to 6% of initial metal atoms (consumed). At those burnups, most of the fission is coming from Pu.

What isn't fissioned or transmuted remains as is - 238U - which could be recycled, but the recycle U often contains 236U (converted from 235U), which is disadvantageous.

As V50 indicated, the spent fuel, which includes unused U, various transmuted products (transuranics), and the fission products, sits in spent fuel pools at the reactor site, where it cools. At some point, the older/aged spent fuel is transferred to dry (inert He) filled storage containers, which are stored at the reactor site. The US does not reprocess fuel, while some European and Asian nations do reprocess spent fuel and recycle the U and Pu, and perhaps some transuranics.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, mfb, oblong-pea and 3 others
anuttarasammyak said:
Conversion to Plutonium and its reuse are attractive. Ref. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_nuclear_fuel
Recycling of Pu (which includes 239Pu, 240Pu, 241Pu, 242Pu, 243Pu, and isotopes of Cm, Am, which have be separated) is problematic and not economically attractive, while uranium is plentiful. Mixed-oxide or MOX (U,Pu)O2 must be handled (including manufacture and inspection) remotely because of the gamma and beta radiation. Remote handling greatly increases the cost, and in the past, MOX fuel was about 10x the cost of fresh U-based fuel.

Nations with limited supply of U or enriched U are motivated to recycle spent fuel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Alex A
You start with a rod of uranium. After a whole, it's uranium, plutonium, fission products (some of whic are gasses) and such, The density is lower, so the rod expands - called "swelling". As Astro points out, that's the end of the line for fuel rods.

In principle, one could separate the stuff you want from the stuff you don't. Such a process would also be very helpful in making bombs too, so the US at least doesn't do it. We burn up a little uranium and then dispose of the majority unburned fuel.

Well, we actually don't, but that's another thread,

1. What is U-238 and why is it used in nuclear reactors?

U-238, or uranium-238, is a naturally occurring isotope of uranium. It is used in nuclear reactors because it is a fissile material, meaning it can undergo nuclear fission and release energy. It is also relatively abundant and can sustain a chain reaction, making it an ideal fuel source for nuclear reactors.

2. How does U-238 contribute to the production of energy in a nuclear reactor?

In a nuclear reactor, U-238 absorbs a neutron, becoming U-239. This isotope is unstable and quickly decays into neptunium-239, which then decays into plutonium-239. The plutonium-239 can then undergo fission, releasing energy and more neutrons to sustain the chain reaction in the reactor.

3. What happens to the U-238 during the fission process?

During fission, the U-238 is split into two smaller nuclei, releasing energy and additional neutrons. These neutrons can then be absorbed by other U-238 atoms, continuing the chain reaction. The leftover fragments of U-238, along with other fission products, remain in the fuel rods and must be safely stored and disposed of after the reactor is shut down.

4. How does the U-238 fuel in a nuclear reactor compare to other fuel sources?

U-238 is a highly efficient fuel source, as a small amount of it can produce a large amount of energy. In fact, one kilogram of U-238 can produce as much energy as 1,500 tons of coal. Additionally, nuclear reactors produce virtually no greenhouse gas emissions, making them a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels.

5. What are the potential risks associated with using U-238 in nuclear reactors?

The main risk associated with using U-238 in nuclear reactors is the potential for accidents or malfunctions that could release harmful radiation into the environment. However, modern nuclear reactors have multiple safety measures in place to prevent such incidents. The storage and disposal of nuclear waste is also a concern, as it must be carefully managed to avoid any long-term environmental impacts.