Minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CandiedPaper
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the required angular velocity of the stick swinging around it's end axis (like a simple pendulum only without the added mass) at the point of "balance" (where the sinus function crosses the x-axis I suppose, sorry for the "weird" translation) so that it will be able to make one full rotation.

I am given it's length and it's "swing time" for small displacements (getting sin(θ) = θ using the Maclaurin series)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have attempted it by setting the potential energy at the above position at full and kinetic at zero, but I am not given a mass for the stick, and I doubt my approach was very sane given the problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the swing time, can you find the mass by using the formula for the period of a pendulum?
 
Assume the mass is given. Work out the kinetic and potential energies of the stick. Then see if you really need the mass to solve the problem.