Minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick ?

In summary, the problem is to find the required angular velocity of a stick swinging around its end axis at the point of balance, in order to make one full rotation. The stick's length and swing time for small displacements are given. The attempt at a solution involved setting the potential energy at the point of balance to be full and the kinetic energy to be zero, but the mass of the stick was not given. It was suggested to use the formula for the period of a pendulum to find the mass, but it may not be necessary to solve the problem.
CandiedPaper

Homework Statement

Find the required angular velocity of the stick swinging around it's end axis (like a simple pendulum only without the added mass) at the point of "balance" (where the sinus function crosses the x-axis I suppose, sorry for the "weird" translation) so that it will be able to make one full rotation.

I am given it's length and it's "swing time" for small displacements (getting sin(θ) = θ using the Maclaurin series)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted it by setting the potential energy at the above position at full and kinetic at zero, but I am not given a mass for the stick, and I doubt my approach was very sane given the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the swing time, can you find the mass by using the formula for the period of a pendulum?

Assume the mass is given. Work out the kinetic and potential energies of the stick. Then see if you really need the mass to solve the problem.

1. What is the definition of minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick?

The minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick refers to the minimum speed at which the stick must rotate in order to maintain its swinging motion without falling down.

2. How is the minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick calculated?

The minimal angular velocity is calculated using the equation: ω = √(g/L), where ω is the angular velocity, g is the gravitational constant, and L is the length of the stick.

3. Why is the minimal angular velocity important in understanding the motion of a swinging homogenous stick?

The minimal angular velocity is important because it determines the stability of the swinging motion. If the angular velocity is lower than the minimal value, the stick will not be able to maintain its swinging motion and will fall down.

4. Does the minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick depend on its mass?

No, the minimal angular velocity is dependent only on the length of the stick and the gravitational constant. The mass of the stick does not affect the minimal angular velocity.

5. How does the minimal angular velocity change if the length of the stick is increased?

If the length of the stick is increased, the minimal angular velocity will also increase. This means that a longer stick will require a higher speed to maintain its swinging motion compared to a shorter stick with the same mass.