1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal angular velocity of a swinging homogenous stick ?

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the required angular velocity of the stick swinging around it's end axis (like a simple pendulum only without the added mass) at the point of "balance" (where the sinus function crosses the x axis I suppose, sorry for the "weird" translation) so that it will be able to make one full rotation.

I am given it's length and it's "swing time" for small displacements (getting sin(θ) = θ using the Maclaurin series)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted it by setting the potential energy at the above position at full and kinetic at zero, but I am not given a mass for the stick, and I doubt my approach was very sane given the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    If you know the swing time, can you find the mass by using the formula for the period of a pendulum?

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    Assume the mass is given. Work out the kinetic and potential energies of the stick. Then see if you really need the mass to solve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted