Minimal Polynomial A nxn Matrix

1. Let A be an n x n matrix; denote its distinct eigenvalues by a_1,...,a_k and denote the index of a_i by d_i. How do I prove that the minimal polynomial is then:

m_A(s) = (s-a_1)^d_1*...*(s-a_k)^d_k

?

The characterstic polynomial is defined as:

p_A(s) = (s-a_1)*...*(s-a_n);

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by index? If you mean "multiplicity", then you can't prove it. For example, consider the minimum polynomials of the zero and identity matrices. (1 and x-1, respectively)

4. The book defines the index as:

"N_m = N_m(a) the nullspace of (A-a*I)^m. The subspaces N_m consist of generalized eigenvectors; they are indexed increasingly, that is N_1 is included in N_2 is included in...

Since these are subspaces of a finite-dimensional space, they must be equal from a certain index on. We denote by d = d(a) the smallest such index, that is, N_d = N_(d+1) = ... but N_(d-1) /= N_d_j

d(a) is called the index of the eigenvalue a."

This is from Peter D. Lax's book on linear algebra.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  5. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If f is the minimal polynomial of A, then f(A) is the zero matrix. So f(A)v = 0 for any vector. Does that help?

6. That is also true for the characteristic polynomial. I know that the characteristic polynomial can be divided by a minimal polynomial and I want to show that the minimal polynomial is equal to (s-a_1)^(d_1)*...*(s-a_k)^(d_k)

7. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. But you want the smallest polynomial that satisfies what I wrote. So you first want to prove:

(s-a_1)^(d_1)*...*(s-a_k)^(d_k)

satisfies what I wrote, and then you want to prove that any proper factor of it does not. I think good choices of f(A)v will do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?