Minimizing surface area of a shaker

In summary, the speaker is attempting to minimize the surface area of a cobbler cocktail shaker for a math assignment. They plan to use the surface of revolution formula and differentiate it, but are struggling to find the curve equation for the shaker's side. They have tried using GetData software but it did not work well.
SpanInq
Hi, I have an mathematics assignment to do, and I wonder if the topic I have chosen is doable for me. I want to minimize the surface area of a cobbler cocktail shaker, and until now my plan was to get the curve equation for the side of it, and get the area equation from surface of revolution formula and curve equation and then differentiate that. My problem is now finding the curve equation for shaker's side...any ideas how to do that? Tried using GetData software to get datapoints and plotting it, but it doesn't work well.
Thank you for help
sha_usagi500xh_0000_stl_web1_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
SpanInq said:
Hi, I have an mathematics assignment to do, and I wonder if the topic I have chosen is doable for me. I want to minimize the surface area of a cobbler cocktail shaker, and until now my plan was to get the curve equation for the side of it, and get the area equation from surface of revolution formula and curve equation and then differentiate that. My problem is now finding the curve equation for shaker's side...any ideas how to do that? Tried using GetData software to get datapoints and plotting it, but it doesn't work well.
Thank you for help
sha_usagi500xh_0000_stl_web1_1.jpg
I'm not sure what you hope to obtain by minimizing the surface area of this particular shape.

In any event, if you want to obtain the minimal surface area for a given volume, the sphere is the shape to use, not the shape of this salt shaker.

What is the purpose of minimizing the surface area of a shaker?

The purpose of minimizing the surface area of a shaker is to reduce the amount of air that comes into contact with the ingredients being shaken. This helps to prevent oxidation and maintain the freshness and flavor of the ingredients.

How does minimizing the surface area affect the efficiency of shaking?

Minimizing the surface area of a shaker can increase the efficiency of shaking by reducing the amount of air that needs to be displaced. This allows for a more focused and consistent shaking motion, resulting in better mixing and blending of ingredients.

What are some techniques for minimizing the surface area of a shaker?

Some techniques for minimizing the surface area of a shaker include using a shaker with a smaller opening, filling the shaker only about halfway with ingredients, and using a shaker with a built-in strainer to prevent excess air from entering during shaking.

Are there any benefits to minimizing the surface area of a shaker?

Yes, there are several benefits to minimizing the surface area of a shaker. These include preserving the freshness and flavor of ingredients, increasing the efficiency of shaking, and preventing spills or messes during the shaking process.

Can minimizing the surface area of a shaker affect the taste of a drink?

Minimizing the surface area of a shaker can help to maintain the freshness and flavor of ingredients, which can ultimately result in a better-tasting drink. However, the taste of a drink can also be affected by other factors such as the quality of ingredients and the shaking technique used.