How Many Minimal Broadcast Graphs Exist for a Given Number of Vertices?

In summary, the broadcast time of a vertex in a graph is the time it takes for information to reach all other vertices. The minimum broadcast time of a graph with n vertices is \lfloor\lg n\rfloor and the broadcast time of a graph is the maximum of all its vertices' broadcast times. A broadcast graph is "minimal" if every vertex has a broadcast time of floor{lg n} and has the least number of edges. The question asks for the number of different minimal broadcast graphs for a given n, but it is unknown if this can be answered.
Dragonfall
The "broadcast time" of a vertex v in a graph G is the number of time units it takes for a piece of information to go from v to every other vertex, provided that each vertex can communicate to only one other vertex during each time unit, and the information is transmitted in one time unit. The minimum broadcast time of a graph with n vertices is [tex]\lfloor\lg n\rfloor[/tex]. The broadcast time of a graph is the maximum broadcast time of all its vertices. A broadcast graph is "minimal" if the broadcast time of every vertex is floor{lg n} and has the least number of edges. For example, K_3 is a broadcast graph, but is not minimal because K_3 minus one edge achieves the same time bound for every vertex, yet has only 2 edges.

My question is: given n, how many different minimal broadcast graphs are there up to isomorphism?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Weeaboo

There must be some way out of here, said the Joker to the Thief.

Interesting concept, but out of curiosity I wonder what gives you a reason to suspect that the answer to your question is known or even conceivably tractable? I don't believe we can come close to answering the question "For a given n, how many graphs on n vertices are there up to isomorphism?" but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Frankly I have no idea. I was hoping someone here might.

EDIT: "For a given n, how many graphs on n vertices are there up to isomorphism?" I just re-read your question, and it would seem odd that this is not answered. I'm not good at combinatorics but I'm sure it's known.

Last edited:

1. What is a minimum broadcast graph?

A minimum broadcast graph is a type of graph used in computer networks to determine the minimum number of broadcast messages needed to reach all nodes in the network. It is a connected graph with the minimum number of edges required for all nodes to be reachable from a single source node.

2. How is a minimum broadcast graph different from a minimum spanning tree?

A minimum broadcast graph and a minimum spanning tree are two different concepts. While a minimum spanning tree aims to connect all nodes with the minimum total weight, a minimum broadcast graph focuses on the minimum number of edges required to reach all nodes from a single source node.

3. What is the importance of minimum broadcast graphs?

Minimum broadcast graphs help in optimizing the efficiency of broadcasting messages in a network. By minimizing the number of broadcast messages, it reduces network congestion and improves overall network performance.

4. How is the minimum number of broadcast messages determined in a minimum broadcast graph?

In a minimum broadcast graph, the minimum number of broadcast messages is equal to the number of edges in the graph. This is because each edge represents a unique message that needs to be broadcasted to reach all nodes in the network.

5. Can a minimum broadcast graph have cycles?

No, a minimum broadcast graph cannot have cycles. This is because cycles would result in redundant messages being broadcasted, which goes against the concept of minimizing the number of broadcast messages in the graph.