Minimum capacity rate ratio of a heat exchanger

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Here is the question:
2mDpOLz.png


I am confused about the solution. In the solution they found that the minimum capacity rate ratio R = C_min/C_max was zero. This is because of the term I circled in the red which I do not understand why it goes towards infinity.

Here is the solution:
HlcAc5j.png


Could someone please explain why that term goes to infinity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not a subject I know anything about, but it seems to me that ch represents the specific heat of the condensing steam. Where the steam is condensing but not changing in temperature, specific heat = ΔQ/Δθ = ΔQ/0. That said, I'm sure some of the steam would be hotter than its condensate.
 
haruspex said:
That said, I'm sure some of the steam would be hotter than its condensate.

The problem statement (and the way they solve the problem) implies that not all the steam condenses. So the inlet and outlet temperatures on the steam side are supposed to be taken as 125 C. Regarding the line involving the red encircled portion, I have no idea what the max and min on (mc) or the parameter R are supposed to be used for. Anyway, the rest of the development makes perfect sense.

Chet