Minimum Coefficient of Friction calculation using Centripetal force

In summary: So, I would just say that the coefficient of static friction is less than the coefficient of kinetic friction.
swag
A() 61 kg child stands at the rim of a merrygo-round of radius 1.05 m, rotating with an
angular speed of 1.87 rad/s
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

What is the child’s centripetal acceleration?
Answer in units of m/s

What minimum force between her feet and
the floor of the carousel is required to keep
her in the circular path?
Answer in units of N

What minimum coefficient of static friction is
required?

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
I found the centripetal acceleration since a = v^2/r and v = 1.9635 and r = 1.05.
The acceleration is 3.671745

2) I found the force which is F=ma
F = 61(3.671745) = 223.976445 N

3) I'm confused as to how I should solve for the minimum of coefficient of friction.

Help is appreciated!

Attachments

• how to calculate minimum coefficient friction.PNG
    how to calculate minimum coefficient friction.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,367
Physics news on Phys.org
swag said:
A() 61 kg child stands at the rim of a merrygo-round of radius 1.05 m, rotating with an
angular speed of 1.87 rad/s
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

What is the child’s centripetal acceleration?
Answer in units of m/s

What minimum force between her feet and
the floor of the carousel is required to keep
her in the circular path?
Answer in units of N

What minimum coefficient of static friction is
required?

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
I found the centripetal acceleration since a = v^2/r and v = 1.9635 and r = 1.05.
The acceleration is 3.671745

2) I found the force which is F=ma
F = 61(3.671745) = 223.976445 N

3) I'm confused as to how I should solve for the minimum of coefficient of friction.

Help is appreciated!

Assumin it is the word "minimum"that is confusing you, remember that the usual formula F = μN refers to the maximum friction possible, so if the coefficient of friction was 2.3, only a fraction of the potential friction would be necessary.
If the friction force required matches the maximum friction available, then we have the minimum coefficient.

If it is the idea of friction that is confusing you, you better re-read the section of your text on friction

But, I have to solve for the coefficient of static friction. The equation for static friction is f ≤ μN , the one you showed is for kinetic friction.

swag said:
But, I have to solve for the coefficient of static friction. The equation for static friction is f ≤ μN , the one you showed is for kinetic friction.

OK, replace the = in my response with ≤ and re-read.

EDIT: I don't distinguish between static and kinetic - since I am always aware which one I am using.

To find the minimum coefficient of friction, we can use the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the force needed to keep the child in the circular path, which we found to be 223.976445 N in part 2. Therefore, the minimum coefficient of friction would be μ = Ff/N. Plugging in the values, we get μ = 223.976445/223.976445 = 1. This means that the coefficient of friction must be equal to or greater than 1 in order for the child to stay on the merry-go-round without slipping.

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum coefficient of friction using centripetal force?

The formula for calculating the minimum coefficient of friction using centripetal force is μ = (mv²)/r, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How is centripetal force related to the minimum coefficient of friction?

Centripetal force is the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. This force is also equal to the product of the mass, velocity, and radius, and it is directly proportional to the minimum coefficient of friction. In other words, as the centripetal force increases, so does the minimum coefficient of friction.

3. Can the minimum coefficient of friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the minimum coefficient of friction can be greater than 1. This means that the force required to keep the object in a circular path is greater than the maximum possible frictional force between the object and the surface it is moving on. In this case, the object will not be able to maintain its circular motion and will start to slip.

4. How does the mass and velocity of the object affect the minimum coefficient of friction?

The mass and velocity of the object have a direct effect on the minimum coefficient of friction. As the mass or velocity increases, the minimum coefficient of friction also increases. This is because a heavier or faster-moving object requires more force to keep it in a circular path, which in turn increases the minimum coefficient of friction.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating the minimum coefficient of friction using centripetal force?

Some practical applications of this calculation include designing roller coasters, calculating the frictional force necessary for a car to make a turn without slipping, and determining the maximum speed a car can safely take a sharp turn without sliding off the road. It is also used in sports such as ice skating and cycling, where maintaining a circular motion is crucial to performance.