Minimum of a logarithmic function

In summary, the function F(x)=ln(x/(x^2+1)) on the interval (0,10] has a maximum value of -0.693 at x=1, but no minimum value as the function is undefined at x=0. However, x=10 can be considered a local minimum value due to it being an endpoint of the interval.
brett812718

Homework Statement

Find the maximum and minimum values of the function F(x)=ln(x/(x^2+1)) on the interval (0,10]

Homework Equations

d/dx[lnu]=u'/u

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)=(1-x^2)/[(1+x^2)x]
f'(x)=0 when 1-x^2=0
1=x^2
x=1 which is the maximum
f(1)=-.693
what do I use for the minimum since f(0)=-[tex]\infty[/tex] ? I can't write -[tex]\infty[/tex] because 0 is not included in the interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question say that both necessarily exist?

no, it does not say

If so, then you should be able to solve the question as you already have.

EDIT: Meant to say instead "as you already almost have". Just need to add a note.

Last edited:
The function does not have a minimum value, since it is undefined at 0. You can go arbitrarily close to 0 and the function value will get arbitrarily small.

You cannot say that x=0.00001 is a minimum value with f(x) = -11.513... because for example x=0.0000001 has f(x) = -16.118... which is even smaller. You can keep doing this forever.
In other words, if you tell me a minimum value for the graph, I simply take an x that is a tiny bit closer to 0 than your x and my value will be even smaller, so your value was not a minimum.

EDIT
I guess you could say that the function (defined on (0,10]) has a local minimum value at x = 10 because it is an endpoint though. I don't know if you have to do this...

Well I guess it's a matter of semantics as to whether endpoints count as local minima/maxima.

Defennder said:
Well I guess it's a matter of semantics as to whether endpoints count as local minima/maxima.

Not really. If the question explicitly states the interval as (0,10] then x=10 is an endpoint (x=0 is not) and this will always be a local extremum (unless the graph is y=constant), right?

For example, if you have a function (let's say f(x) = x^2) that defines the area of a piece of land, and the function is defined at [0,4], then you could ask the question 'what is the maximum area of the land'. If you do not use the endpoint as an extremum you would answer that there was no maximum area, which doesn't make sense...

To support Nick, suppose f(x)= x and the interval is (0, 1]. Then f(x) has a maximum, 1, on that interval but does NOT have a minimum. Conversely, if the interval is [0, 1), then f(x) has a minimum 0 on the interval but no maximum.

It is NOT a matter of "semantics".

1. What is a minimum of a logarithmic function?

The minimum of a logarithmic function is the smallest value that the function can reach. In other words, it is the lowest point on the curve of the logarithmic function.

2. How do you find the minimum of a logarithmic function?

To find the minimum of a logarithmic function, you can use the derivative of the function to find the critical points. Then, you can use the second derivative test to determine if the critical point is a minimum or maximum.

3. Can a logarithmic function have more than one minimum?

No, a logarithmic function can only have one minimum. This is because the function is always decreasing as it approaches the minimum, and once it reaches the minimum, it starts to increase again.

4. What is the relationship between the base of a logarithmic function and its minimum?

The base of a logarithmic function does not affect the location of its minimum. However, it does affect the steepness of the curve and how quickly the function increases or decreases.

5. Can a logarithmic function have a minimum value of zero?

No, a logarithmic function cannot have a minimum value of zero. This is because the logarithm of zero is undefined, so the function cannot reach a value of zero.