Minimum Speed for Steel Ball on Inclined Loop-the-Loop

In summary, the minimum speed that a steel ball must have at the top of a loop-the-loop of radius R in order to stay on the track is the square root of gR. This is determined by setting the normal force to zero and using the equation Fcentripetal = mg, where Fcentripetal is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This speed is necessary to maintain circular motion and prevent the ball from falling off the top of the track.
endeavor
A steel ball rolls down an incline into a loop-the-loop of radius R. What is the minimum speed the ball must have at the top of the loop in order to stay on the track? (the ball has a radius r and starts at a height of h)
This is a similar image to the one in my book:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1876/1m40209ji.th.jpg

I'm not sure how to solve this question. But I think it has something to do with conservation of energy. I tried doing that and got:
v = square root of (v02 - 20/7 gR)
but the answer is the square root of (gR), which is must simpler than my answer...so I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with centripetal force, rather than energy conservation.
The ball has to not fall off the top of the track, which means it must maintain a minimum amount of circular motion.
It is centripetal force that provides this circular motion.
When traveling around a track, it is the normal reaction of the track against the ball which provides the centripetal force.
When the motion is in a vertical plane, this reaction is modified by any radial component of the ball's weight.
At the top of the track, the radial component of the ball's weight is mg.
If there is no reaction force from the track then mg is the minimum amount of centriptal force.
If mg maintains circular motion (no falling off the top of the track) then mg = mw²r

Fermat said:
If there is no reaction force from the track then mg is the minimum amount of centriptal force.
This 2nd last sentence I don't understand.

There are two forces acting on the ball at the top of the loop: gravity and the normal force (the track pushing on the ball). These forces add to produce the centripetal force on the ball. The faster the ball goes, the greater will be the normal force. To find the minimum speed such that the ball barely maintains contact with the track, set that normal force to zero. (Then apply Newton's 2nd law.)

I think I'm beginning to understand.
But why does the normal force have to be greater if the speed is greater? Is it because there needs to be a greater force to keep the ball in the loop? (Rather than fly off tangentially)

so I use Fcentripetal = mg, and get the answer v = square root of (gR)

endeavor said:
Is it because there needs to be a greater force to keep the ball in the loop? (Rather than fly off tangentially)
Exactly.

so I use Fcentripetal = mg, and get the answer v = square root of (gR)
Right.

What is the minimum speed required for a steel ball to go through an inclined loop-the-loop?

The minimum speed required for a steel ball to go through an inclined loop-the-loop is dependent on the radius of the loop and the angle of the incline. However, as a general rule, the minimum speed should be at least twice the square root of the product of the acceleration due to gravity and the radius of the loop.

Can a steel ball go through an inclined loop-the-loop at any speed?

No, a steel ball cannot go through an inclined loop-the-loop at any speed. If the speed is too low, the ball will fall out of the loop before completing the loop. If the speed is too high, the ball may not have enough contact with the track to maintain its circular path.

What factors affect the minimum speed for a steel ball on an inclined loop-the-loop?

The minimum speed for a steel ball on an inclined loop-the-loop is affected by the radius of the loop, the angle of the incline, the mass of the ball, and the force of friction between the ball and the track. These factors determine the centripetal force required for the ball to maintain its circular motion.

Is there a difference in the minimum speed for a steel ball compared to other materials?

Yes, the minimum speed for a steel ball is different from other materials due to differences in mass and friction between the ball and the track. Heavier balls may require a higher minimum speed, while balls with less friction may require a lower minimum speed.

Can the minimum speed for a steel ball on an inclined loop-the-loop be calculated?

Yes, the minimum speed for a steel ball on an inclined loop-the-loop can be calculated using the centripetal force equation, where the centripetal force is equal to the product of the mass of the ball, the square of its velocity, and the radius of the loop, divided by the radius of the loop.