Is Wastewater Recycling the Solution to Extreme Drought?

In summary, due to the extreme drought, it is recommended to conserve water when washing a car. Going to a car wash place that recycles water is a greener option, but washing at home with two buckets, one for soapy water and one for rinsing, is also a possibility. However, this method requires a lot of effort and may not be as effective as a traditional car wash. It is important to use biodegradable soap and not to waste water, as it is a valuable resource.
So you don't have any data. That's okay. Most people on the internet don't.

Suppose you have a car with black paint. Would dirt make it better?

Why not just get a smaller car? Or sweat a little instead of turning on the A/C? My car doesn't have air conditioning. When it's super hot I open all the windows and pour a bottle of water over myself and wonder why didn't I spend that extra $800 on the A/C?

The sole focus on saving water is the crux. Is that what you really care about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, let's relax here. We're talking about washing cars.

• Love
Likes bob012345 and Tom.G
JT Smith said:
So you don't have any data. That's okay. Most people on the internet don't.

Suppose you have a car with black paint. Would dirt make it better?

Why not just get a smaller car? Or sweat a little instead of turning on the A/C? My car doesn't have air conditioning. When it's super hot I open all the windows and pour a bottle of water over myself and wonder why didn't I spend that extra $800 on the A/C?

The sole focus on saving water is the crux. Is that what you really care about?
My 'dirty car theory' is not meant as a serious scientific thesis to argue about because we are discussing this in the Lounge, which is less formal. I think there is indirect evidence to support it which I gave you but this is meant to be a lighthearted discussion about saving some water. I meant it to be fun.

I do believe a dirty black car would be slightly hotter than a shiny clean black car because I think the albedo would be less. But the difference might be small. I'd have to do a controlled experiment.

My car is already small, a Corolla. I suppose I could get a mini Cooper.

No, saving water is not what I really care about. It's just an interesting topic to discuss during the drought.

Likes russ_watters
I apologize if I came across harsh. You can't see my face in order to tell that I'm also just having fun.

I guess my opinion is that the minimum amount of water to wash a car is essentially zero since washing a car is rarely necessary. If you take that tack then car washing is so far down the list of water consumption activities that it's not worth worrying about. Every time you flush your toilet or take a shower you render the whole car washing thing insignificant.

I'm a lightweight backpacker and I've spent many hours obsessing over grams of weight of items. Sometimes these small differences add up to significant weight. But most of the time I'm just having fun shaving toothbrush handles.

Likes bob012345
I confess that I have once or twice "washed" my car by taking it out of the garage and out into the rain. This works so long as the rain is cleaner than the car.🌦️

Likes bob012345
JT Smith said:
I apologize if I came across harsh. You can't see my face in order to tell that I'm also just having fun.

I guess my opinion is that the minimum amount of water to wash a car is essentially zero since washing a car is rarely necessary. If you take that tack then car washing is so far down the list of water consumption activities that it's not worth worrying about. Every time you flush your toilet or take a shower you render the whole car washing thing insignificant.

I'm a lightweight backpacker and I've spent many hours obsessing over grams of weight of items. Sometimes these small differences add up to significant weight. But most of the time I'm just having fun shaving toothbrush handles.
Thanks. It's all fine. Though I have to admit when you suggested I pee on my car and wash it with gasoline I was tempted to invite you to wash your mouth out with soap like I did as mentioned in post#5... but I refrained. :smile:

You make good points about water consumption but as for flushing toilets, I take it then you don't have an outhouse in your backyard?

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...t-clean-water-waste-fertiliser-eco-revolution

But seriously, the coming trend is wastewater being recycled to clean water anyway as mentioned in post #16.

Last edited:
No, we don't have an outhouse. Is it even legal in the city?

I've been hearing about wastewater recycling for many years. People are adverse to the idea so even as the west dries up it's going to be a hard sell. Interesting times ahead for sure. Even our drought resistant plants have been having a hard time in recent years. I used to never water them but now, ironically, as the drought worsens I am forced to water them occasionally... or let them die.

Likes bob012345
JT Smith said:
No, we don't have an outhouse. Is it even legal in the city?

I've been hearing about wastewater recycling for many years. People are adverse to the idea so even as the west dries up it's going to be a hard sell. Interesting times ahead for sure. Even our drought resistant plants have been having a hard time in recent years. I used to never water them but now, ironically, as the drought worsens I am forced to water them occasionally... or let them die.
I wasn't too serious about the outhouse. I'd probably fall in it at some point if I had one.

I don't think the public will have much choice about wastewater treatment. In Orange County Ca, it already is in use. In a sense, wastewater is already naturally recycled anyway. The artificial process is just more direct.