Mirrors, phase shifts, and position

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the use of mirrors to introduce global and relative phase shifts in quantum mechanics. It is noted that a mirror introduces a global phase shift of π which is not specific to any observable or particle, and the implications of this are discussed. Reference is made to the textbook "Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information" for further clarification.
Talisman
I'm confused about something regarding phase shifts but I'm not sure I've pinned down what.

I had always thought of a mirror as introducing a global phase shift of π in the position basis, but I only now realize that this makes no sense: of course -A ⊗ B = A ⊗ -B, so a global phase shift is not specific to any particular observable. This is essentially the only operation that works this way.

Now, suppose you send a photon through a beam splitter, and in the upper path you place a mirror. This effectively introduces a relative phase shift between the two path components. But I cannot think of a way to use a mirror to introduce a relative polarization phase shift (which is normally accomplished with a waveplate). I can put a mirror in one place but not another; I cannot put it "in one polarization but not the other."

Why should the unique device that imparts a global phase shift (i.e., that treats all observables the same) "treat position specially?" I'm not sure my question makes any sense, but hopefully someone recognizes the confusion that's lurking here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's as in classical electrodynamics (Fresnel's Laws): A reflected em. wave gets a phase shift by ##\pi## if it's entering a optically denser medium (i.e., a medium with larger index of refraction like, e.g., from air to glass). For a very good and careful treatment, see the excellent textbook on QT:

B. Schumacher, M. Westmorland, Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information, Cambridge-University Press (2010)

vanhees71 said:
It's as in classical electrodynamics (Fresnel's Laws): A reflected em. wave gets a phase shift by ##\pi## if it's entering a optically denser medium (i.e., a medium with larger index of refraction like, e.g., from air to glass). For a very good and careful treatment, see the excellent textbook on QT:

B. Schumacher, M. Westmorland, Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information, Cambridge-University Press (2010)

Sorry, I just got around to responding. Thanks for the reference, it's very helpful. But my confusion remains.

So the operation of a mirror is to introduce a phase shift of ##\pi## -- in other words, ##|\psi\rangle \mapsto -|\psi\rangle##. What's weird to me is that this operation is not specific to any observable, or indeed, any particle: if we write the universal wave function as ##|\psi\rangle \otimes |\phi_{world}\rangle##, the mirror turns it into ##-|\psi\rangle \otimes |\phi_{world}\rangle = |\psi\rangle \otimes -|\phi_{world}\rangle##. In other words, we can't tell if we phase-shifted the photon's position, its polarization, or indeed, the entire universe's state vector.

Is that correct, and if so, how should I interpret it?

I'm aware that global phase is physically irrelevant, but something about this result still feels weird. I can't put my finger on why though.

Me neither. It's just the solution of Maxwell's equations in linear-response approximation with the correct boundary conditions, and this translates to the quantized radiation field due to the linearity of the equations.

1. What is a mirror?

A mirror is a smooth, highly reflective surface that is capable of producing an image of an object placed in front of it by reflecting light.

2. How do mirrors work?

Mirrors work by reflecting light rays at the same angle that they hit the surface, creating a virtual image of the object. This reflection is what allows us to see our own reflection in a mirror.

3. What is a phase shift?

A phase shift refers to a change in the position or timing of a wave, such as light or sound. In the case of mirrors, a phase shift occurs when light reflects off of the surface and creates an image that appears to be shifted from its original position.

4. Can mirrors change the position of an object?

No, mirrors do not physically change the position of an object. They simply reflect light to create an image that appears to be in a different position.

5. How does the position of a mirror affect the image it produces?

The position of a mirror can affect the image it produces in several ways. For example, a concave mirror will produce a magnified image if the object is placed closer to the mirror, while a convex mirror will produce a smaller, upright image. Additionally, the angle at which the mirror is tilted can also affect the position and size of the image.