Understanding Polarization-Dependent Phase Shifts of Radio Waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
antrobot
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I've seen this video:

There it is explained that an electromagnetic (here radio) wave has a phase shift if it was radiated in horizontal polarization, but it does not experience the phase shift when it was emitted vertically polarized when it gets reflected on the ground.
When reading up on phase shifts I didn't find anything in connection with polarization. But, I found that light will ALWAYS get reflected with a 180 degree phase shift when reflected on a denser medium. Therefore I am confused now, and don't understand if it is polarization dependent or not, and most importantly why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, according to the Fresnel equations both the reflected components of the electric field parallel and perpendicular to the boundary get a 180 degree phase shift ("sign flip") when entering the denser medium. One has to be careful in interpreting the polarization vectors of the incoming, reflected, and transmitted wave trains! For a very clear treatment and careful discussion of the physics, see

https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Aauthor=Joos, https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Aauthor=Freeman: https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Atitle=Theoretical%20Physics , https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Aedition=3rd, https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Apublisher=Dover%20Publications,%20Inc., https://www.physicsforums.com/kbibtex%3Afilter%3Ayear=1986
 
Thank you for your answer, but I was not able to find that book online or in the library to read up on (for free). However, I actually think the reflection is indeed polarization dependent, just not exactly in the way it was explained in the video. I found this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/phase-shift-upon-reflection.799497/
which explains the exact conditions for the phase shift depending on p- and s-polarizations. These polarizations are defined with regard to the plane of incidence, and the conditions fall out of Fresnels equations. Following the logic of this post the p-polarized (in the video it actually does correspond to the vertical polarization) only experiences a phase shift if a certain condition is fulfilled (see the link for the conditions)! Also, common literature seems not to discuss this, which is why it is believed that there is always a phase shift, not depending on polarization.