Missing technique used to find acceleration of a 4-bar mechanism?

In summary, the technique is used to find the normal acceleration of a link in a 4-bar mechanism. It is done by drawing a semi circle with the diameter of the link's length and a circle with the radius of the velocity vector. The two circles are then intersected to find the normal acceleration of the link.
MechE
Hi there!
There is a technique that is being used by my lecturer for mechanisms course at uni and i could not understand how this technique is manipulated.I wish i would know this methods name but no chance!.
This technique is being used to find normal acceleration of link in 4-bar mechanism.Manipulation:If you know the velocity of a link then draw a semi circle whose diameter is link's length and draw another circle whose radius is velocity vector and intersect these two circles then you obtain the normal acceleration of link.
What is the name of this method?
How can i find more examples on this method?
Thank you very much!
21418hl.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the second circle centred in relation to the first?

haruspex said:
Where is the second circle centred in relation to the first?
First circle centered at midpoint of link
Second circle is centered at the rotating tip of link.
(Assume link is grounded at one point.And second point is rotating at a constant angular velocity-it is a 4-bar mechanism)
I will upload a picture of it.

MechE said:
First circle centered at midpoint of link
Second circle is centered at the rotating tip of link.
(Assume link is grounded at one point.And second point is rotating at a constant angular velocity-it is a 4-bar mechanism)
I will upload a picture of it.
Very cute.
It's just an application of Pythagoras. Let the bar be AB, length 2r. Let C be the centre of the bar, P be the point where the arcs intersect and N where the perpendicular from P to the bar meets the bar. Then v = BP, CB=CP = r, BN = a. Applying Pythagoras to CNP, (r-a)2+PN2=r2. Applying it to BNP, a2+PN2=v2. Subtract one equation from the other and you end up with a = v2/2r.
When using this drawing technique, you have to scale velocity to distance in such a way as to ensure the curves intersect. That same scaling applies to the ratio of acceleration to velocity, enabling you to interpret the result.

haruspex said:
Very cute.
It's just an application of Pythagoras. Let the bar be AB, length 2r. Let C be the centre of the bar, P be the point where the arcs intersect and N where the perpendicular from P to the bar meets the bar. Then v = BP, CB=CP = r, BN = a. Applying Pythagoras to CNP, (r-a)2+PN2=r2. Applying it to BNP, a2+PN2=v2. Subtract one equation from the other and you end up with a = v2/2r.
When using this drawing technique, you have to scale velocity to distance in such a way as to ensure the curves intersect. That same scaling applies to the ratio of acceleration to velocity, enabling you to interpret the result.
Thank you for explanation.This was what i was looking for.

1. What is a 4-bar mechanism?

A 4-bar mechanism is a mechanical system composed of four rigid links connected by four joints, forming a closed loop. It is commonly used in machines and mechanisms to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

2. How is acceleration calculated in a 4-bar mechanism?

Acceleration in a 4-bar mechanism can be calculated using the principles of kinematics and dynamics. The acceleration of each link is determined by the position, velocity, and forces acting on the system. This can be solved using equations of motion or by using software simulation.

3. What is the missing technique used to find acceleration in a 4-bar mechanism?

The missing technique is a mathematical or computational approach to solving for the acceleration of a 4-bar mechanism. This could be a specific equation or algorithm that takes into account the geometry, forces, and motion of the system to determine the acceleration.

4. Why is finding acceleration important in a 4-bar mechanism?

Acceleration is an important parameter to consider in the design and analysis of 4-bar mechanisms. It affects the speed and smoothness of motion, as well as the forces and stresses experienced by the system. By accurately calculating acceleration, engineers can optimize the performance and efficiency of a 4-bar mechanism.

5. Are there any limitations to the techniques used to find acceleration in a 4-bar mechanism?

Yes, there can be limitations depending on the complexity and accuracy of the model used. Simplifications in the geometry, motion, or forces can lead to less accurate results. Additionally, some techniques may not be applicable to certain types of 4-bar mechanisms with unique configurations or constraints. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using a specific technique to find acceleration.