Determining acceleration due to gravity using a spring

In summary, a first year Physics student is seeking help on finding the acceleration due to gravity using a set of eight unknown masses, a stand, a spring, and a stop clock. The student is allowed to consult friends or research online but has not been able to find a suitable method. They mention the equation g = 4*Pi^2*L/T^2, but are unsure of how to use it. The student suggests using a mass hanging from the spring and calculating its period of motion and maximum displacement, but is unsure if this will work. The responder suggests considering other equations for springs and using a different method due to the limitations of the spring.
Odrevan

Homework Statement

Hey, so this seems like the most relevant place to post this. I'm a first year Physics student and we received the task of finding he acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth using a set of eight masses (whose values are unknown, all equal mass though), a stand with scale graduated in cm, a spring with attached holder for mass, and a stop clock. We have to make up the method ourselves and we were told you are allowed to consult friends or look up how to do it on the internet.

Unfortunately, I can't find any method how to do it, the closest I came was when I found an experiment that showed how to get the gravitational intensity using this apparatus, but that's not what I need and it required known masses for the calculations.

Could anybody point me in the right direction with a relevant link, or if anyone's int he know could they explain how to do it? Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

Possibly g = 4*Pi^2*L/T^2, but I'm not sure how it would be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not too sure, I thought about hanging a mass from the spring, and using applications on the computer I'd calculate its period of motion and its maximum displacement from rest position which I would leave equal L, as I can't think of anything else...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, welcome to physicsforums :)
Your idea is interesting. That is the equation for a non-flexible pendulum. So you would have to hope that the spring does not stretch while it is swinging. This might be a fairly good approximation if the amplitude of the swing is small. But there are other ways to do this experiment. Since you are given a bunch of masses, and since the spring is probably not the best pendulum, I think you are meant to do this experiment a different way. What other equations do you know for springs? Think of dynamic and static equations.

1. What is the concept behind determining acceleration due to gravity using a spring?

The concept is based on using the properties of a spring, such as its stiffness and length, to calculate the gravitational force acting on an object and then using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to determine the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the results?

The stiffness of the spring is directly related to the force it exerts when it is stretched or compressed. A stiffer spring will have a higher force constant and thus will be able to measure smaller gravitational forces with greater accuracy.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the spring and the acceleration due to gravity?

The length of the spring is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity. This means that as the length of the spring increases, the acceleration due to gravity also increases. This relationship is represented by the formula g = k/m, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

4. Can this method be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity on different planets?

Yes, this method can be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity on different planets. The only variable that needs to be adjusted is the spring constant, as it is unique to each spring. This can be done by calibrating the spring on the new planet before conducting the experiment.

5. What are some potential sources of error when using this method?

Some potential sources of error include air resistance, friction in the spring, and inaccuracies in measuring the length of the spring. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the results. It is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment and take multiple measurements to reduce these sources of error.