Mixed parallel & series RLC circuit

In summary, the author is explaining how to find the equivalent impedance of a parallel and series circuit. The parallel circuit has an impedance of \frac{1}{Z_p}=\frac{1}{Z_1}+\frac{1}{Z_2}+... and the series circuit has Z_s=Z_1+Z_2+.... To find the current, Ohm's law is used along with the input voltage and the impedance. The power factor is the cosine of the phase angle between the current and the voltage.
mrmlica

Homework Statement

pic: www(dot)freeimagehosting.net/hbnem

Calculate impedance , current and power factor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

pic: www(dot)freeimagehosting.net/xmy2b

First we solve parallel part. In parallel resistor and inductor are sharing voltage. Using phasor diagrams we found vector I_1 which is current in parallel part. Series circuit share current so I have attached phasor diagram for capacitor to I_1 (as you can see). Now i need to find vector V_S which is V_C + V_R. But i don't know how to find it.

(sorry for the pics)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mrmlica. Not too sure what you're trying to do, but the equivalent impedance of a parallel circuit is just: [itex]\frac{1}{Z_p}=\frac{1}{Z_1}+\frac{1}{Z_2}+...[/itex] and for series is: [itex]Z_s=Z_1+Z_2+...[/itex]. Where Z is the complex impedance, Z_n is the n'th component in the given circuit, s=series & p=parallel. To find the current you use Ohm's law as you know the input voltage and the impedance. The power factor is the cosine of the phase angle between the current and the voltage. The tangent of the phase angle can be found from the argument of the complex impedance.

Sleepy_time said:
Hi mrmlica. Not too sure what you're trying to do, but the equivalent impedance of a parallel circuit is just: [itex]\frac{1}{Z_p}=\frac{1}{Z_1}+\frac{1}{Z_2}+...[/itex] and for series is: [itex]Z_s=Z_1+Z_2+...[/itex]. Where Z is the complex impedance, Z_n is the n'th component in the given circuit, s=series & p=parallel. To find the current you use Ohm's law as you know the input voltage and the impedance. The power factor is the cosine of the phase angle between the current and the voltage. The tangent of the phase angle can be found from the argument of the complex impedance.

I wasnt hoping for that good help. You didnt just solve me task, you learn me new diffrent way to look on AC current. Thank you alot.

Last edited:
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you with the problem in a different method to what you normally do. If you're finding any difficulty with my method just ask any questions you want to.

Thank you for your question. In order to find the total impedance of a mixed parallel and series RLC circuit, you will need to use the following formula:

Z_total = sqrt( (R + R_p)^2 + (X_L - X_C)^2 )

Where R is the resistance of the series branch, R_p is the equivalent resistance of the parallel branch, X_L is the reactance of the inductor, and X_C is the reactance of the capacitor.

To find the current in the circuit, you can use Ohm's Law: I = V/Z_total, where V is the voltage across the circuit.

To find the power factor, you can use the power triangle, which shows the relationships between real power (P), reactive power (Q), and apparent power (S). The power factor is the cosine of the angle between the real power and the apparent power.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit?

A mixed parallel & series RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel components, with resistors, inductors, and capacitors connected in both series and parallel. This type of circuit is used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex circuits with multiple components.

2. How does a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit differ from a regular RLC circuit?

A regular RLC circuit contains only series or parallel components, while a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit contains a combination of both. This allows for a more complex analysis of the circuit, as the behavior of each individual component can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit?

One advantage of using a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit is that it allows for a more accurate analysis of complex circuits. It also allows for a greater range of control over the behavior of the circuit, as the values of both the series and parallel components can be adjusted.

4. How do I calculate the total impedance of a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit?

The total impedance of a mixed parallel & series RLC circuit can be calculated by finding the individual impedances of each component and then combining them using the appropriate equations for series and parallel circuits. The final impedance value will depend on the values of the resistors, inductors, and capacitors in the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of mixed parallel & series RLC circuits?

Mixed parallel & series RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices, such as radios and televisions, to tune the frequency and improve the overall performance of the circuit. They are also used in power systems to control the flow of electricity and maintain stability. Additionally, these types of circuits are used in medical equipment, such as pacemakers, to regulate electrical impulses in the body.