Mixing Gases, temperature, and the Kinetic Model of Matter

In summary, the statement that the speed of particles in a gas is directly related to its temperature is scientifically accurate. When two gases of different temperatures are mixed together, eventually they will reach the same temperature, as the kinetic energy is evenly distributed among all particles in the container. This is due to the conservation of energy during collisions between the particles.
evaengineer

Homework Statement

Consider the following statement: "The temperature of a gas is a measure of the speed of its particles (atoms and molecules). Now suppose that I mix two gases together, for example oxygen and carbon dioxide, which are initially at different temperatures; if I wait long enough, eventually all the oxygen and the carbon dioxide molecules will be traveling at exactly the same speed."

Discuss the scientific accuracy of this statement.

Homework Equations

These may or may not be relevant.
Using the Kinetic Model of Matter (for gas)
p α T (pressure is directly proportional to temperature)
V α T (volume is directly proportional to temperature)
p α V (pressure is directly proportional to volume)

The Attempt at a Solution

If both O and CO2 are in the same container, they will have the same volume (using V α T...?), as the container's volume won't change by adding more gas. When the gas is added, the pressure will increase (using p α V...?) as there will be more atoms per cubic area. So, when they are in the same container, they will then have the same temperature, based on their pressure (using p α T...?).

I have a feeling that my use of mathematics in this situation is far too complex or incorrect. My answer feels like a shot in the dark more than anything. So, input?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your reasoning sounds good to me, but I am no professor. Anyway, you might want to use some kind of statistics for this, if you want to use more mathematics. I could probably help you with that, but if it isn't a statistical course, I guess you shouldn't go that deep. Also putting temperature and pressure proportional to the volume is wrong in the manner, that the volume stays constant.

However, the fact that you have constant volume, would make it possible to use the last one, where you say, that pressure is proportional to temperature. This wouldn't be the case, if the volume didn't stay constant, as you could then use either of the previous mentioned.

Also you should not assume that the volume is constant, unless it is actually mentioned in the task.I would probably answer it in a relation like this:
Relate the speed of the particles to kinetic energy, and then express the kinetic energy in terms of temperature. That way, you can say, that when the temperature becomes constant, so does the speed of the particles. If you wait long enough, you obtain constant temperature, because the kinetic energy will be evenly distributed among all particles due to the conservation of energy between each collision.

1. How does temperature affect the behavior of gases?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As the temperature increases, the particles in a gas move faster and collide with each other more frequently, increasing the pressure and volume of the gas. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the particles move slower and collide less, resulting in a decrease in pressure and volume.

2. What is the Kinetic Model of Matter and how does it relate to mixing gases?

The Kinetic Model of Matter states that all matter is made up of tiny particles in constant motion. In gases, these particles are spread out and move freely, allowing them to mix and spread evenly throughout a container. This explains why gases easily mix with each other, as the particles are constantly moving and colliding.

3. How does the volume of a gas change when it is mixed with another gas?

According to the Kinetic Model of Matter, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and pressure. When two gases are mixed together, their particles will occupy the same volume as they move and collide with each other. The combined volume of the gases will be the sum of their individual volumes.

4. Can gases be mixed in any proportion?

Yes, according to the Kinetic Model of Matter, gases can be mixed in any proportion. This is because there is no attractive force between gas particles, allowing them to freely move and mix with each other regardless of their proportions.

5. How do intermolecular forces affect the mixing of gases?

Intermolecular forces are weak attractions between particles in a substance. In gases, these forces are negligible, allowing the particles to move and mix freely with each other. However, in some cases, intermolecular forces can play a role in the mixing of gases, such as when two gases have similar molecular structures and are more likely to attract each other.