Mixing Problem (variable volume)

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of salt in a tank of water over time, with a constant inflow of brine and outflow of water. The general solution to the first order, linear ODE is used to calculate the amount of salt at any given time, with the final integral being solved using the substitution method.
Tyst

Homework Statement

A tank contains 150L of water in which initially 30g or salt is dissolved. Brine runs in at a rate of 4 L/m and each litre contains 1.5g of dissolved salt. The mix in the tank is kept uniform. Brine runs out at 3L/m. What is that amount of salt in the tank at any time t?
Note that the volume of brime in the tank is not constant in time

Homework Equations

[tex] y' +p(x)y = r(x) [/tex]

General solution to first order, linear ODE

[tex] y(t) = exp(-\intp(p(t)) dt) [\int r(t)\exp(\intp(p(t))dt) dt +C] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Input/Output Gives

[tex]y(t)=(6-3y)/(150+t)
[/tex]
-
[tex]y'+3y = 6/(150+t)[/tex]

Substituting these values into the general equation gives me

y(t) = e^(-3t)[\nt(6/(150+t)*e^(3t) dt) + C]

And from here ... well... some sort of a clue as to where to go next would be very nice.
Basically i am having trouble with that integral, is it possible to take [tex]\int(ln((6/(150+t)*\exp^(3t) dt)[/tex] somehow? I'm not sure if/how to make this step.
I can take the log of the other parts of the equation...

ln(y(t)) = ln(exp^3t)+ [this is the bit I'm not sure of] + ln(C)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, thanks for showing me that - perhaps it's just the tiredness setting in, or perhaps I'm just completely dense! But i am still not able to work this out.

Well, I'm an idiot :P solved it now! Thanks!

What is a mixing problem with variable volume?

A mixing problem with variable volume involves finding the concentration of a substance in a solution that is being mixed with another substance at a changing rate or volume.

What are the key variables in a mixing problem with variable volume?

The key variables in a mixing problem with variable volume include the initial concentration of the substance, the rate at which the substance is being added or removed, the volume of the solution, and the amount of time that has passed.

How do you set up and solve a mixing problem with variable volume?

To set up and solve a mixing problem with variable volume, you must first write an equation that represents the changing concentration of the substance over time. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown concentration at a specific time point.

What are some real-life applications of mixing problems with variable volume?

Mixing problems with variable volume can be found in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. Some examples include drug dissolution in the body, pollution dispersion in water bodies, and nutrient absorption in plants.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a mixing problem with variable volume?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a mixing problem with variable volume include not setting up the correct equation, using incorrect units, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.