MN resident; U of MN or U of Mich for engineering?

• Thread starter Eclipxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, paying the high out of state tuition at the University of Michigan is worth it if you want a big name engineering degree. However, if your job performance is strong, it does not matter where you earn your degree.
Eclipxe
Is attending the University of Michigan with its absurdly high out-of-state tuition worth it instead of paying in-state tuition for the University of Minnesota? As in, is the depressing amount of money I will have to pay after I graduate at Michigan worth the degree? Or should i just stick with a less engineering-renowned school at Minnesota?

If it matters, I would major in nuclear engineering at Michigan and aerospace engineering at Minnesota.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could convince yourself of either choice. There is definitely a value in a big name engineering degree. On the other hand, if your job performance is strong, where you earned your degree does not matter as much.

So in the end, I would follow your gut feeling and do what you feel most confortable with.

Do you want to get a degree in Nuclear Engineering? Or Aerospace? If you decide on Nuke, then I suggest UM-AA.

Well I'd go for either. I just meant if I went to Michigan I would go for nuke and of course at MN I'd go for aerospace since they don't have nuke.

But more to the point is if an engineering degree at Michigan is worth paying the high out of state tuition for. Like, is its prestige worth it? Or should I just save me money and go with MN?

Another consideration is whether you intend to go to graduate school. An undergraduate school with a better reputation may help get into a better graduate school. It may also be a tie breaker when it comes to getting that first job. My undergrad engineering degree is from U of Mich and am very happy about it. I expect U of MN grads would probably say the same. In the end I agree with others that your performance probably means the most regardless of where you go. If you are considering out of state, why not try MIT or Stanford?

Last edited:
What about UW-Madison? They have an agreement with Minnesota residents in which they only pay slightly higher tuition than Wisconsin residents.

@hotvette, I'd prefer to stay in the Midwest. How much of a performance difference would matter? For example, should I still go to UMich if I can maintain a 3.0 gpa or should I go to UMN if I can maintain a 3.5 gpa there? Like, would a 3.0 gpa performance at Michigan still be worth it over a 3.5 gpa performance at MN?

@contramundum, I actually applied there too. Surprisingly, even with the agreement, I would end up paying the same amount as Michigan since Michigan gave me more grants than Madison.

Do Mech undergrad (at MN) so that you can do either Nuke or Aero later . . . it's what all the cool kids do (like me).

1. What are the differences between U of MN and U of Mich for engineering?

Both U of MN and U of Mich are highly ranked universities for engineering programs. U of MN is a public university located in Minnesota, while U of Mich is a public university located in Michigan. The specific differences between their engineering programs may vary depending on the specific field of engineering and the department within each university. It is recommended to research and compare the specific engineering programs at each university to determine which one aligns better with your academic and career goals.

2. Which university has a better reputation for engineering?

Both U of MN and U of Mich have excellent reputations for their engineering programs. U of Mich is ranked slightly higher overall for engineering, but U of MN has highly ranked programs in specific fields such as chemical engineering and materials engineering. It is recommended to research and compare the rankings and reputation of the specific engineering programs you are interested in at each university.

3. What are the job prospects for engineering graduates from U of MN and U of Mich?

Both U of MN and U of Mich have strong connections with industry and a high job placement rate for engineering graduates. U of Mich has a larger alumni network and a higher percentage of graduates who go on to work in top engineering companies. However, U of MN also has a strong reputation and partnerships with local industry in Minnesota. It is recommended to research and compare the job placement rates and alumni networks for the specific engineering programs you are interested in at each university.

4. What is the cost difference between attending U of MN and U of Mich for engineering?

The cost of attending U of MN and U of Mich for engineering will depend on individual factors such as financial aid, scholarships, and in-state vs. out-of-state tuition. Generally, U of MN has a lower tuition and cost of living compared to U of Mich, especially for in-state students. It is recommended to research and compare the specific costs for attending each university and explore financial aid options.

5. Which university offers better opportunities for research and internships in engineering?

Both U of MN and U of Mich have opportunities for research and internships in engineering. U of Mich has a larger research budget and more research opportunities, but U of MN also has a strong research focus and partnerships with local companies. It is recommended to research and compare the specific research and internship opportunities for the engineering programs you are interested in at each university.