Small College vs. Large University: Which is Better for Engineering Students?

In summary, the person is undecided about whether to go to U Minnesota or Macalester and is considering the pros and cons of each school. They are unsure if they should go with their heart or research opportunities.
toforfiltum
Hi all, I've applied to some unis in the States and heard back from them. Now I have problem deciding between two completely opposite schools. At the time I applied, I don't really know what I wanted to do, though I chose engineering. I'm still undecided now.

I got accepted to Macalester, which is the only liberal arts college to accept me, I was rejected and wait listed by all else. They gave me a nice financial aid package of $ 179530 for 4 years. U Minnesota also accepted me with scholarship covering the difference between out of state and in state cost.

So now, I don't know which school to choose. Of course, if I'm firm on engineering, I should stick with U Minnesota, but I'm not very sure. Anyway, back where I'm from, I could still work as an engineer with a physics degree. And, seeing that I was rejected by all the other liberal arts colleges I applied to, it would seem a waste of opportunity if I decline Macalester.

U Minnesota would have more name recognition, but Macalester would give smaller class sizes. So which school should I choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
The one with smaller debt upon graduation.
What if my parents say cost isn't an issue?

Go with your heart, because you'll work harder.

Working harder is more important than the choice.

Dr. Courtney said:
Go with your heart, because you'll work harder.

Working harder is more important than the choice.
Thanks for your advice!

A point that people bring up against small liberal-arts colleges is that they probably have a smaller range of research opportunities than big universities do. Macalester might be an exception to this, because it's in the same city as the U of Minnesota, so you would probably have some access to opportunities there. I suggest checking their website and maybe asking them specifically about this.

jtbell said:
A point that people bring up against small liberal-arts colleges is that they probably have a smaller range of research opportunities than big universities do. Macalester might be an exception to this, because it's in the same city as the U of Minnesota, so you would probably have some access to opportunities there. I suggest checking their website and maybe asking them specifically about this.
Ok, will do it. Thanks for your suggestion!:smile:

What are the main differences between a small school and a large school?

The main differences between a small school and a large school include the number of students enrolled, the class sizes, the resources and facilities available, and the overall sense of community and personal attention.

Which type of school, small or large, is better for students?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Both small and large schools have their pros and cons. It ultimately depends on the individual needs and preferences of the student.

Do small schools offer the same opportunities as large schools?

Small schools may not have the same quantity of opportunities as large schools, but they often provide more personalized and unique opportunities. Small schools may also have close-knit relationships with the local community, providing students with real-world experiences and connections.

What are the potential drawbacks of attending a large school?

Potential drawbacks of attending a large school include larger class sizes, less individualized attention from teachers, and a greater sense of anonymity. It may also be more difficult to stand out and make a name for yourself in a large school setting.

Are small schools more conducive to academic success?

There is no definitive answer to this question. While small schools may provide more individualized attention and support, large schools may offer a wider range of resources and opportunities. It ultimately depends on the individual student and their ability to thrive in different environments.