Modulus Predictions for Binomial Expansion Coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses the prediction of modulus without fully expanding, and the assumption that all middle terms in the binomial expansion are zero. It is mentioned that this assumption is only true when n-1 is prime, and there is a conflict between theoretical and actual results for non-prime n-1. The speaker struggles to understand the relationship between n! and n-1 in this context.
coolul007
Gold Member
I am trying to predict the modulus without really doing the expansion. Therefore I'm in a snag with actually computing vs. only computing what I think I need. Here's the assumption I am Making:

n C r == 0 mod (n-1) for all r > 1

n C r are the coefficients of the binomial expansion. My assumption is that all the middle terms are zero and that only the:

x^n + nx^(n-1) + 0 +... +0 + nx +1 need to be computed mod(n-1)

My theoretical results are conflicting with the actual.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The middle terms are 0 mod(n-1) if and only if n-1 is prime.

robert2734 said:
The middle terms are 0 mod(n-1) if and only if n-1 is prime.

Is this still a true statement for n-1 not prime? I am having trouble as the expansion of n! == 0 mod(n-1), can you explain? Thanx

n C r == 0 mod (n-1) for all r > 1

say n-1=6 then the expansion is x^7+7x^6+21x^5+35x^4+35x^3+21x^2+7x+1. The middle terms are not multiples of 6.

if n-1=5 x^6+5x^5+15x^4+20x^3+15x^2+5x+1, the middle terms are multiples of 5 because 5 is prime.

I kind of figured out the why. When n-1 is prime there exists only one number to divide into. When n-1 is composite there exist the prime factors of n-1 plus there multiples to divide the n-1 composite in the "numerator" thus leaving no value for n-1 to divide into. It then becomes coprime to the rest of the coefficient. Well, back to the drawing board.

1. What is the mod of binomial expansion?

The mod of binomial expansion is a mathematical concept that involves expanding a binomial expression raised to a power. It is used to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How is the mod of binomial expansion calculated?

The mod of binomial expansion is calculated using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficients of the terms in the expansion can be found by using combinations and the power of the binomial.

3. What is the significance of the mod of binomial expansion in mathematics?

The mod of binomial expansion is important in many mathematical applications, such as in probability and statistics. It allows for the simplification of complex expressions and helps in solving problems involving combinations and permutations.

4. Can the mod of binomial expansion be used for any type of binomial expression?

Yes, the mod of binomial expansion can be used for any type of binomial expression, as long as it follows the standard form of (a+b)^n. This includes expressions with negative or fractional powers.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the mod of binomial expansion?

One limitation of the mod of binomial expansion is that it can only be used for finite expansions, meaning there must be a specific number of terms in the expansion. Additionally, it is only applicable for binomial expressions and cannot be used for other types of expressions.