Mode of operation for transistor

In summary, the transistor is not in active mode and so the KVL for the CE loop will not work. Ie must be calculated. Ic can be calculated from the relationship Ib = Ie - Ie. If Ib and Ic are both positive then the saturation mode assumption is correct.
magnifik
I am trying to determine the mode of operation for the following circuit and find the voltages and currents:
zsmgkh.png

I am given that β = 50

I know that VEC > VEC,sat for a transistor in active mode
I applied KVL on the right loop and got:
VCC = 300Ic + 1000Ic + VEC
VEC = VCC - 1300Ic

i'm not sure if the above is right or where to go from here. what is throwing me off is the 300 Ω resistor connected to the 1kΩ resistor. is the node between the two B or C? or are B and C equal in this case?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the transistor is on, what must be the base voltage without writing down any equations at all?

rude man said:
Assuming the transistor is on, what must be the base voltage without writing down any equations at all?

VBE = VBE,on = 0.7 V (as defined in the text)

That's the voltage between the base and the emitter. So what's the voltage at the base?

rude man said:
That's the voltage between the base and the emitter. So what's the voltage at the base?

i'm unsure. is it the voltage at that node between the two resistors?

Why yes, the base is the node between the two resistors.

what confuses me about this is the position of Vc. normally, it is the voltage across the bottom resistor, but since there are two resistors with a node in between, is Vc the voltage across the 300-ohm resistor? or does Ic occur in both the 300-ohm and 1k-ohm resistor

Vc is the collector voltage to ground. "c" stands for "collector".

The base voltage is Vb = Vcc - Vbe = Vcc - 0.7V.

Ic is the current flowing out of the collector.

Vcc = Vbe,on + Vb
--> Vb = 2.5 - 0.7 = 1.8

Vb/1000 + (Vb-Vc)/300 = 0
1.8/1000 + 1.8-Vc/300 = 0
--> Vc = 2.34

Ic = 1.8/1000 = 1.8 mA

2.5 = Vec + 300Ic + 1000Ic
--> Vec = .16

since Vec = 0.2 in this problem and Vec is less than this, the transistor is not in active mode so i re-solve for saturation mode?

magnifik said:
Vcc = Vbe,on + Vb
--> Vb = 2.5 - 0.7 = 1.8

Vb/1000 + (Vb-Vc)/300 = 0
1.8/1000 + 1.8-Vc/300 = 0
--> Vc = 2.34

Ic = 1.8/1000 = 1.8 mA

2.5 = Vec + 300Ic + 1000Ic
--> Vec = .16

since Vec = 0.2 in this problem and Vec is less than this, the transistor is not in active mode so i re-solve for saturation mode?

Yes that's exactly right, sorry for the delay in answering.

So now what do you do? (Hint - the base current is no longer assumable to be ic/50).

i solve for Ie then do the KVL for the CE loop. then solve for Ic from that equation. then get Ib from the relationship Ib = Ie - Ie. if Ib and Ic are both positive then the saturation mode assumption is correct.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Yer' welcome! Post your results if you care to.

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of material - a collector, a base, and an emitter. By applying a small current to the base layer, the transistor can control a larger current flowing between the collector and emitter, allowing it to act as an amplifier or switch.

2. What is the difference between NPN and PNP transistors?

NPN and PNP refer to the two types of bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). The main difference between them is the direction of current flow. In an NPN transistor, the current flows from the collector to the emitter, while in a PNP transistor, the current flows from the emitter to the collector.

3. How is the mode of operation for a transistor determined?

The mode of operation for a transistor is determined by the amount of current flowing through the base layer. In the active mode, a small current is applied to the base layer to control a larger current between the collector and emitter. In the saturation mode, the base layer is fully saturated with current, resulting in a maximum current flow between the collector and emitter. In the cutoff mode, no current flows between the collector and emitter.

4. Can a transistor be used for both amplification and switching?

Yes, a transistor can be used for both amplification and switching. In the active mode, it acts as an amplifier by controlling a larger current flow between the collector and emitter. In the saturation and cutoff modes, it acts as a switch by either allowing or blocking the flow of current between the collector and emitter.

5. How does the mode of operation affect the performance of a transistor?

The mode of operation can affect the performance of a transistor in terms of its gain, power dissipation, and switching speed. In the active mode, the transistor has a high gain and can operate at higher frequencies, making it suitable for amplification. In the saturation and cutoff modes, the transistor has a lower gain and slower switching speeds, making it more suitable for switching applications.