Model of how temperature depends on latitude?

In summary, the Earth's surface is composed of rings, and the angle of inclination affects the area that is exposed to the sun. The equation for temperature variation with latitude is found by integrating a strip area with the angle of inclination. The angle of inclination changes throughout the year, and the model takes this into account.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

I was asked to 'Use a very simple model to find how the Earth’s temperature should vary with latitude.'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about flux and how this should be proportional to the temperature. So I first thought about the area that is exposed to the sun if I consider the Earth's surface to be composed of rings.

If you have an angle of inclination from the equator of [itex]\theta[/itex] (i.e. this is your angle of latitude), then it creates a ring of circumference [itex]\pi(Rcos(\theta))^2[/itex] where R is the radius of the Earth. So the area that would be formed when considering a 'strip' where the angle is [itex]\theta + \delta\theta[/itex] fives you [itex]\pi R\delta\theta(Rcos(\theta))^2 [/itex]
Since the Earth is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees, I thought that when integrating I would have to find:
[itex]\int \pi R(Rcos(\theta))^2 \dot Pcos(\theta-23.5)d\theta[/itex]

I apologise for the mess above! This is the first time I am trying to use calculus to form my own model, so I'm not quite sure if I am using it right... and I am not too sure about how to do calculations with flux either, and I don't think I am using this concept correctly.

Any help is much appreciated! And if anyone knows any good resources/books that have caluclations like these, I would also be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Circumference (Dimension: length!) is ##2\pi R##, not ##\pi R^2##.

BvU said:
Circumference (Dimension: length!) is ##2\pi R##, not ##\pi R^2##.

Apologies! I am clearly half-asleep today :P

So then I get [itex]2\pi R^2 cos(\theta)\delta\theta[/itex] for my strip of area and [itex]2\pi R^2 P\int cos(theta-23.5)cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. Does this look OK?

And your integral goes from where to where ?
And your 23.5 is a constant ?

BvU said:
And your integral goes from where to where ?
And your 23.5 is a constant ?

The 23.5 is the angle of the Earth's tilt, and i am assuming the sun's radiation comes in horizontally so that the equator line is inclined at an angle of 23.5 degrees to the sun's radiation. With regards to the integral, I am not sure if I should be integrating at all because I an meant to find an equation for the temperature varying with latitude, and I was thinking about strips of area (with these strips being parallel to the latitude lines). But I don't think this is the best way to think about it because then the poles would have a temperature of zero in my model...

Re 23.5: So the folks on the capricorn tropic have the sun straight above their heads ?
:) And here's me thinking the poor chaps on the equator had that !
But not constantly...

Re integrating: you're right. After all, you started out mentioning flux !

Re circumference: would you want to multiply by circumference ? divide by it ? Why, precisely ? (And: think back to this integrating business)

BvU said:
Re 23.5: So the folks on the capricorn tropic have the sun straight above their heads ?
:) And here's me thinking the poor chaps on the equator had that !
But not constantly...

Re integrating: you're right. After all, you started out mentioning flux !

Re circumference: would you want to multiply by circumference ? divide by it ? Why, precisely ? (And: think back to this integrating business)

I realized that the angle of inclination will differ during different times of the year. On the Winter solstice, the equator line is 23.5 degrees above the horizontal rays of radiation from the sun, on the Summer solstice it is 23.5 degrees above and during spring and autumn the equator gets the greatest sun exposure. So my model would have to take this into account...

I think the strip area would not matter for the temperature- what matters is the intensity, so it is per unit area anyway. I think I should be considering the flux density rather than the flux. In this case I think the equation is simply [itex]T=T_{at equator}cos(\theta-\beta)[/itex] where theta is the latitude and beta is the latitude which has the radiation rays from the sun hitting it straight on...

So if you want a really simple model you average over the year and get a decent picture (or http://www.sage.wisc.edu/atlas/maps/avganntemp/atl_avganntemp.jpg )

Or else you introduce a time dependent ##\beta = ## 23.5 * (days since March 21)/365

Often, flux density and flux are used for the same something/area (not so in magnetics: ##B## and ## \Phi##)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a model of how temperature depends on latitude?

The purpose of a model of how temperature depends on latitude is to understand and predict how temperature changes as you move from the equator to the poles. It helps to explain the patterns of temperature distribution on Earth's surface.

2. How is temperature affected by latitude?

Temperature is affected by latitude because the Earth is tilted on its axis, causing different areas to receive varying amounts of sunlight. This results in temperature variations as you move away from the equator towards the poles.

3. What factors influence the accuracy of a model of how temperature depends on latitude?

The accuracy of a model of how temperature depends on latitude is influenced by various factors, including the Earth's topography, wind patterns, ocean currents, and the amount of cloud cover. These factors can impact the amount of sunlight and heat received at different latitudes.

4. How do scientists create a model of how temperature depends on latitude?

Scientists create a model of how temperature depends on latitude by analyzing data collected from weather stations and satellite measurements. They also use mathematical equations and climate simulations to represent the relationships between latitude and temperature.

5. Why is it important to study the model of how temperature depends on latitude?

Studying the model of how temperature depends on latitude is important for understanding how the Earth's climate works and how it is affected by changes in the environment. It also helps us to make predictions about future climate patterns and the potential impacts of climate change on different regions of the world.