Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling electromagnetic wave reflection

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate the power of a reflected electromagnetic field and can't find a physical explanation for a given solution.

I've noticed the following example:

The Plane has a radar for altitude measurement which emmits the power Ptx at the frequency ftx. Calculate the power of the received waves when the plane altitude is h=60m and gamma (reflection) factor of the ground is 0.1.

The solution is Prx = Gtx*Grx((c/ftx)/(4*Pi*2*h))^2*gamma^2

What I don't understand here is why is it appropriate to take 2*h as a radius.

c/fth is the wave length
    Gtx and Grx are the gains of the receiver and transmitter
    and the factor (4*Pi*r)^2 in the denominator comes from spherical geometry (the sphere with radius r has a surface 4*Pi*r^2 - another 4*Pi comes from gain formula derivation)

The factor gamma is squared because the Poynting vector is a product of Electric and magnetic force and the ground reflects both thus gamma^2.

What I don't understand here is why the radius is set as 2*h.

I tried to solve the problem the following way:

The wave power at the point of collision is proportional to 1/(4*Pi*h)^2. At that point we consider the ground reflets 1/gamma^2 of the power and the reflected power at the receiving point is proportional to 1/(4*Pi*h^2).

I would appreciate if anyone could correct my point of view and explain what's the correct way to model a reflected electromagnetic wave.

Thank you!

Niko

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That isn't the radius, the \lambda / (4\pi r^2) factor is called the space loss factor. In the far field, the source of an electromagnetic wave appears to be like a point source, thus, there is an inherent spreading of the wave over 4\pi r^2 in the same sense as a spherical surface is spreading. r, the distance between source and receiver is taken as 2h because the wave travels h to the ground, and then another distance h back up to the receiver on the plane.

The given equation is the antenna link equation for the far-field, you will find this in any antenna textbook.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook