Modelling forces acting on a sail

In summary, ChrisSails is looking for a starting point for modeling the forces acting on a sail and is interested in learning more about differential equations and aeroplane wings.
cbarrett
Hi all.

I'd like to create a basic model of the forces acting on a sail (wind sail, like a tail ship)

A couple of things I was thinking about:
1) can create a very simple model where wind is 'one' force acting on the a uniform body.
2) model wind as vectors. This is where I am a little confused on how to start.
3) adding in multiple sails.

Any pointers?

I'm not looking for someone to actually do the modelling for me, just a place to start. Like maybe some Wikipedia articles, etc.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sails (proper sails that is) are airfoils so you need to study aeroplane wings.

Sails as most people think of them (e.g. Viking Longship) operate in the stalled condition and are very inefficient.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking for a starting point. I know that this would be a differential equation but after that I can't really see how it would be modeled.

This isn't a homework question. I'm looking at this out of interest. Its been a few years since I worked in differential equations and modelling math problems so any help or starting points are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you really need to know exactly how the wind is pushing on the sails to such a fine degree? From your 3rd point (adding in multiple sails) it sounds like you are trying to design a craft of some sort, maybe?

In which case it seems more important to know how hard, and in what direction, the wind is pushing on the sail in total. At that broadest level, you can just draw the incoming wind vector, the outgoing (after interaction with sail) wind vector, and the difference between the two is the force vector applied to the sail (which will be divided - unequally I think - between the mast and wherever the main sheet connects with the boat)

So, it doesn't need to be so fine. It just a hobby/interesting project I've chosen.

I'm really trying to re-develop my modeling/simulation skills.

I was hoping someone who might have done something like this before could start me off.
Thanks

1. How do you calculate the forces acting on a sail?

The forces acting on a sail can be calculated using the formula F = A * Cd * ρ * V2, where F is the force, A is the area of the sail, Cd is the drag coefficient, ρ is the density of the air, and V is the velocity of the wind. This formula takes into account both the lift and drag forces acting on the sail.

2. What factors affect the forces acting on a sail?

The forces acting on a sail are affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the sail, the angle of attack, the wind speed, and the wind direction. The properties of the sail material, such as its weight and flexibility, can also influence the forces acting on the sail.

3. How does the angle of attack affect the forces acting on a sail?

The angle of attack, which is the angle between the sail and the direction of the wind, can greatly impact the forces acting on a sail. A smaller angle of attack will result in a higher lift force and a lower drag force, while a larger angle of attack will result in a lower lift force and a higher drag force.

4. What is the role of the sail's shape in determining the forces acting on it?

The shape of a sail is crucial in determining the forces acting on it. The curvature and camber of the sail can affect the lift and drag forces, while the shape and size of the sail's leading edge can impact its ability to generate lift. The overall shape of the sail also plays a role in determining the sail's stability and maneuverability.

5. How can modelling forces on a sail help in sailboat design?

Modelling forces acting on a sail is an essential part of sailboat design. By accurately calculating and predicting the forces acting on a sail, designers can optimize the sail's shape, size, and material to achieve the desired performance and efficiency. This can result in a faster, more stable, and more controllable sailboat.