Free body diagram of a sailboat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 9K views
sophiecentaur said:
The situation as described poses a problem under really bad conditions as it implies that you need to heave to and can't run before a storm.
How so? The boat will round up. That's what you want, if you want to stop sailing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I don't think the Physics approach will help too much here. After all, even with a lot of computing power and know how, there's still a need for physical testing on cutting edge hydro and aero dynamics designs. So - no shame in a practical approach here.
Well, this is what I was afeared of. See post 19. ... and post 1. You guys are expanding the scope beyond answerability.
 
DaveC426913 said:
How so? The boat will round up. That's what you want, if you want to stop sailing.
I have heard. though, that when conditions are really bad (no personal experience) it may be better to run. But (bad metaphor, perhaps) it's a rock or a hard place.