Modelling simulation for 6g shock

In summary, the speaker is a student working on a camera fixture for a senior design project. They have a requirement for the fixture to withstand 6 g's of shock during transportation. They have a few questions on the most effective way to model and test the shock, and are considering using ADAMS software for this. They also mention the possibility of using a padded fixture to protect against shock during transport. The speaker also suggests using a frequency response analysis to determine the optimal padding for the fixture.
siddy88
Hi all,

I am a student designing a camera fixture for my senior design project. We are halfway through our project right now and we are trying to do some validation stuff for our fixture.

One of the requirements for our fixture is for it to withstand 6 g's of shock during shipping/transportation etc. the whole fixture sits on one large base plate and most of the shock on the system can be modeled as though it is acting directly on this base plate. I have a few questions regarding this.

a) Any suggestions on what might be the most effective way to do this?

b) 6 gees is acceleration but obviously I can model it as a force as well. Any advice on what is better

c) I was thinking of using ADAMS software to model the shock but have no clue what I would input to mimic the 6 gees of shock.

Any advice on this would be helpful. Thank you

Of course we could just do it once our prototype is ready however this might not be the best idea because if it does not withstand that force then our model will just collapse and that will be bad.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming that the fixture is padded for transport with material that can compress during impact with even force over the distance d and the fixture can sustain k gees, then the padded fixture can be dropped into free fall onto a hard surface from the height h = (k-1)*d. If dropped from above that height the average (and therefore also peak) acceleration during impact will be above k gees. This is of course a very simple model that only gives the "optimal" relationship between h and d, so in practice you will find peak acceleration going above k gees at drop heights below h.

The above model is a simple DC model. A somewhat better model would require that you know or analyze the "frequency response" of your fixture to see if may accept higher gees in higher frequencies. Also, if there is a "resonance" at a fairly low frequency you may want to use a padding that moves this resonance to a "safer" frequency or spread it out a bit.

(Disclaimer: above comments are made from the points of control engineering. I have no special theoretical or practical experience with constructing such transportation paddings).

1. What is modelling simulation for 6g shock?

Modelling simulation for 6g shock is a process of creating a mathematical representation of a system that experiences a shock of 6g force. This simulation can be used to predict the behavior and response of the system under such extreme conditions.

2. Why is modelling simulation for 6g shock important?

Modelling simulation for 6g shock is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the effects of high g-forces on a system without actually subjecting it to those conditions. This can save time, cost, and potential damage to the system.

3. How is modelling simulation for 6g shock performed?

Modelling simulation for 6g shock is performed using advanced computer software that can create virtual models of the system and simulate the shock using mathematical equations and parameters. The results can then be analyzed and compared to real-life data.

4. What are the benefits of using modelling simulation for 6g shock?

There are several benefits of using modelling simulation for 6g shock, including the ability to test and analyze different scenarios and conditions, identify potential weaknesses or failures in the system, and make necessary improvements before physically testing the system.

5. How is modelling simulation for 6g shock used in research and development?

Modelling simulation for 6g shock is widely used in research and development of various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and military, to test and improve the performance and durability of their products under high g-forces. It can also aid in the design and development of new and innovative systems that can withstand extreme conditions.