Modern Physics - Length of infinite well that has an electron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
fallen186
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


** My book doesn't have any solutions in the back , and I trying to find out if I am doing the problems correctly. My book is Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers by John C. Morrison. If you know anywhere I can find the Answers. I would greatly appreciate it!

The lowest energy level of an electron confined to a one-dimensional region is 1.0 eV. (a) By describing the electron as a particle in an infinite well, find the size of the region.


Homework Equations



Energy levels of particle in an infinite well:
[tex]E=\frac{n^{2}*h^{2}}{8mL^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Formula:
[tex]E=\frac{n^{2}*h^{2}}{8mL^{2}}[/tex]

Variables:
E= 1.0 eV = 1.602e-19 J
n =1
h = 6.626e-34 J*s
m= 9.109e-31 kg
L = ?

[tex]1.602*10^{-19}J=\frac{(1)^{2}*(6.626*10^{-34}J*s)}{8*(9.109*10^{-31}kg)*(L)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]L = 7.534*10^{8}m[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a square on your h, so you're getting an answer which is far too large...