Finding wavelength of visible light in a well

In summary, the colors of visible light that would be absorbed by electrons in an infinite well with N = 3.1 nm and an effective mass of one-fifteenth of the standard electron mass are dark red at 705 nm and purple at 423 nm. There are no visible wavelengths for the electron to absorb in the ground state due to its quantized energy levels. However, there is a small probability for the electron to be on the second energy level, allowing for the absorption of a UV wavelength at 302 nm.
adamaero

Homework Statement

Determine what colors of visible light would be absorbed by electrons in an infinite well, N = 3.1 nm. The effective mass for an electron is one-fifteenth of the standard electron mass.

Homework Equations

En = n2h2/(8mL2)

E = hf
f = c/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

E1 = 9.4039*10-17 J
E2 = 3.7616*10-16 J
E3 = 8.4635*10-16 J
E4 = 1.5046*10-15 J

ΔE1-2 = 70.5 nm
ΔE2-3 = 42.3 nm

Nothing in the visible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your reasoning - all you've given me is a bunch of letters and numbers.
For instance - what energies of photon can be absorbed by the electron in the ground state?

h = 6.626*10^-34
m2-kg/s
Simon Bridge said:
Please show your reasoning.
An electron can only absorb decrite (quantized) energies of a photon.
E2 − E1 = E ⇒ 70.5 nm
After using f = E/h, then λ = c/f.
Or λ = c/(E/h) = c*h/ΔE = 70.5 nm.

Since this is the highest wavelength that can be absorbed by the electron, and visible light is a higher frequency (a minimum of 400 nm), no colors are absorbed.

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 407
adamaero said:

Homework Equations

En = n2h2/(8mL2)

The Attempt at a Solution

E1 = 9.4039*10-17 J
E2 = 3.7616*10-16 J
E3 = 8.4635*10-16 J
E4 = 1.5046*10-15 J
Your energy values are too high. Check the calculations.

Likes adamaero
ehild said:
Your energy values are too high. Check the calculations.
En = n2h2/(8mL2)
En = n2(6.626e-34)2/(8(9.11e-31/15)(3.1e-9)2)
En = 9.4029*10-20n2 J

And then for the rest:
E = E2-1 = 2.82087e-19
λ = ch/E = 3e8*6.626e-34/2.82087e-19
λ = 7.0468e-7 = 704.68 nm

So red.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Is the mass correct?

Is it not just taking the effective mass, me/15, as given in the question statement?

adamaero said:
Am I not just taking the effective mass, me/15, as given in the question statement?
I do not see 15 in your formula.

ehild said:
I do not see it in your formula.
Sorry, it was in the Wolfram Alpha link, but I forgot to change it in the writing here. (I'm trying to get this done. I've spent all weekend on this one assignment...reading...learning...but not getting much gainful progress on the actual questions...So ya, I'm trying to go not as slow as I've been doing.)

adamaero said:
Sorry, it was in the Wolfram Alpha link, but I forgot to change it in the writing here. (I'm trying to get this done. I've spent all weekend on this one assignment...reading...learning...but not getting much gainful progress on the actual questions...)
OK, so are there any visible wavelengths?

ehild said:
OK, so are there any visible wavelengths?
700ish = Dark red.
upload_2016-10-30_15-5-53.png

All right. Any more?

Likes adamaero
ehild said:
All right. Any more?
Light? Oh, yes let me check...

adamaero said:
Light? Oh, yes let me check...
The electron can be on the second level with some probability...

Likes adamaero
ΔE2-1 = 2.82087e-19
ΔE3-2 = 4.70146e-19
ΔE4-3 = 6.58204e-19

h = m2-kg/s
6.626e-34

λ = c*h/ΔE

ΔE2-1 ⇒ λ2-1 = 705 nm (dark red)
ΔE3-2 ⇒ λ3-2 = 423 nm (purple)
ΔE4-3 ⇒ λ4-3 = 302 nm (UV ~ not visible light)

Thank you very much ehild for helping!

You are welcome :oldsmile:

1. What is the purpose of finding the wavelength of visible light in a well?

The purpose of finding the wavelength of visible light in a well is to determine the specific range of wavelengths present in the well. This information can be used to identify the type of light source that is present, as different light sources emit different wavelengths of visible light.

2. How is the wavelength of visible light measured in a well?

The wavelength of visible light in a well can be measured using a spectrophotometer or a spectrometer. These instruments use a grating or prism to disperse the light into its component wavelengths, which can then be measured and analyzed.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the wavelength of visible light in a well?

The main factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the wavelength of visible light in a well include the quality and calibration of the measuring instrument, the temperature of the well, and any impurities or contaminants present in the well.

4. Can the wavelength of visible light in a well change over time?

Yes, the wavelength of visible light in a well can change over time due to various factors such as temperature fluctuations, chemical reactions, or the addition of new substances to the well. It is important to regularly monitor the wavelength to ensure accurate measurements.

5. How is the wavelength of visible light in a well used in scientific research?

The wavelength of visible light in a well is used in various scientific research applications such as spectroscopy, environmental monitoring, and chemical analysis. By analyzing the specific wavelengths present, scientists can gain valuable insights into the composition and properties of the substances in the well.