Finding wavelength of visible light in a well

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 2K views
adamaero
Messages
109
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Determine what colors of visible light would be absorbed by electrons in an infinite well, N = 3.1 nm. The effective mass for an electron is one-fifteenth of the standard electron mass.

Homework Equations



En = n2h2/(8mL2)

E = hf
f = c/λ

The Attempt at a Solution


E1 = 9.4039*10-17 J
E2 = 3.7616*10-16 J
E3 = 8.4635*10-16 J
E4 = 1.5046*10-15 J

ΔE1-2 = 70.5 nm
ΔE2-3 = 42.3 nm

Nothing in the visible.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your reasoning - all you've given me is a bunch of letters and numbers.
For instance - what energies of photon can be absorbed by the electron in the ground state?
 
h = 6.626*10^-34
m2-kg/s
Simon Bridge said:
Please show your reasoning.
An electron can only absorb decrite (quantized) energies of a photon.
E2 − E1 = E ⇒ 70.5 nm
After using f = E/h, then λ = c/f.
Or λ = c/(E/h) = c*h/ΔE = 70.5 nm.

Since this is the highest wavelength that can be absorbed by the electron, and visible light is a higher frequency (a minimum of 400 nm), no colors are absorbed.
 
Attachments
  • eq.png
    eq.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 512
adamaero said:

Homework Equations



En = n2h2/(8mL2)

The Attempt at a Solution


E1 = 9.4039*10-17 J
E2 = 3.7616*10-16 J
E3 = 8.4635*10-16 J
E4 = 1.5046*10-15 J
Your energy values are too high. Check the calculations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: adamaero
ehild said:
Your energy values are too high. Check the calculations.
En = n2h2/(8mL2)
En = n2(6.626e-34)2/(8(9.11e-31/15)(3.1e-9)2)
En = 9.4029*10-20n2 J

And then for the rest:
E = E2-1 = 2.82087e-19
λ = ch/E = 3e8*6.626e-34/2.82087e-19
λ = 7.0468e-7 = 704.68 nm

So red.
 
Last edited:
ehild said:
Is the mass correct?

Is it not just taking the effective mass, me/15, as given in the question statement?
 
adamaero said:
Am I not just taking the effective mass, me/15, as given in the question statement?
I do not see 15 in your formula.
 
ehild said:
I do not see it in your formula.
Sorry, it was in the Wolfram Alpha link, but I forgot to change it in the writing here. (I'm trying to get this done. I've spent all weekend on this one assignment...reading...learning...but not getting much gainful progress on the actual questions...So ya, I'm trying to go not as slow as I've been doing.)
 
adamaero said:
Sorry, it was in the Wolfram Alpha link, but I forgot to change it in the writing here. (I'm trying to get this done. I've spent all weekend on this one assignment...reading...learning...but not getting much gainful progress on the actual questions...)
OK, so are there any visible wavelengths?
 
ehild said:
OK, so are there any visible wavelengths?
700ish = Dark red.
upload_2016-10-30_15-5-53.png
 
All right. Any more?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: adamaero
ehild said:
All right. Any more?
Light? Oh, yes let me check...
 
adamaero said:
Light? Oh, yes let me check...
The electron can be on the second level with some probability...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: adamaero
ΔE2-1 = 2.82087e-19
ΔE3-2 = 4.70146e-19
ΔE4-3 = 6.58204e-19

h = m2-kg/s
6.626e-34

λ = c*h/ΔE

ΔE2-1 ⇒ λ2-1 = 705 nm (dark red)
ΔE3-2 ⇒ λ3-2 = 423 nm (purple)
ΔE4-3 ⇒ λ4-3 = 302 nm (UV ~ not visible light)

Thank you very much ehild for helping!