Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai

In summary: I don't think that Jackson's Eletrodynamics needs a lot of analysis, but Treil's Linear Algebra Done Wrong might.
Andreol263
What I'm going to need to learn from this book? I'm going to need read something before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on personal experience, you need at least basic linear algebra, calculus, as well as introductory quantum mechanics. The book will assume that the reader is familiar with solving Schroedinger equations for some easy potentials, like potential well, harmonic oscillator, and hydrogen atom, for which reason you need calculus.

If you have a copy of the book handy, look at the introduction or preface. Textbook authors usually say there what they expect users of the book to know already.

Hum ok, what introductory quantum mechanics book you recommend me?

Thank you!

I'd recommend precisely Sakurai's text. It was the book our professor used in your introductory quantum-mechanics lecture (QM 1) within the theory course, and it explains everything very well.

vanhees71 said:
I'd recommend precisely Sakurai's text. It was the book our professor used in your introductory quantum-mechanics lecture (QM 1) within the theory course, and it explains everything very well.
Really?? so great! :D:D, some time before I've started learn from Griffith but i didn't like the book so much, but i survived until 3-D Schorodinger Equation, and i found that Sakurai's book could be better, because it's in a higher level! :)

I don't know Griffiths's book on quantum mechanics, but from the discussions here in the forum I get the impression that it is cometimes confusing for the students. Any good book on quantum mechanics is "high level", because quantum mechanics is a high-level subject!

It's because this book it's in graduate level(Quantum Theory 1), so appears to be a lot more difficult haha, but appart from physics requeriments(analytic mechanics, solving of basic problems in schorodinger equation), what i will need in mathematics for this book?

I'd say the most important math you need to deal with quantum mechanics is linear algebra, vector analysis and some knowledge about functional analysis (theory of distributions) in Hilbert space. Concerning physics, you need classical mechanics in the Hamiltonian (phase-space) formulation with Poisson brackets. It's also good to have some knowledge about symmetries and Noether's theorem in classical mechanics, in terms of the Hamilton formulation and the relation to Lie algebras.

ok, the mathematical part i should be ok.., but Hamiltonian formulation with Poisson brackets??, i have only seen Lagrange formulation.., where i should learn this thing??

You can take any textbook on analytical mechanics. I know more the German textbook literature. I know that the textbook by Scheck is translated. Searching at Amazon gives this, which should be it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642053696/?tag=pfamazon01-20

which is very good (the whole series by the way, covering the standard theory course at universities in a very modern way, but I'm not sure whether it's translated into English).

Thank you so much for you patience, i will try this book right now, I'm being overwhelmed by so many difficult book right now(Jackson's Eletrodynamics, Treil's Linear Algebra Done Wrong), but i will try to get my way...

Well, this book appears to be awesome, but I'm afraid that he needs a amount of analysis that I'm not sure that i can handle, can you tell me how 'much' analysis this book needs?

Hm, I'd say the usual 2nd-semester level of vector calculus should be sufficient.

1. What is the main concept of Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai?

The main concept of Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai is to provide a comprehensive and advanced understanding of quantum mechanics, including its mathematical foundations and applications in various fields such as atomic, molecular, and solid-state physics.

2. How is Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai different from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai is known for its rigorous and intuitive approach to teaching quantum mechanics. It presents the subject matter in a clear and concise way, making it accessible to both undergraduate and graduate students. It also delves into advanced topics such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.

3. Is Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai suitable for self-study?

Yes, Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai has been praised for its self-contained and self-explanatory nature, making it an excellent resource for self-study. The textbook includes numerous examples, exercises, and problems with solutions to help readers reinforce their understanding of the material.

4. What are some of the topics covered in Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai?

Some of the topics covered in Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai include wave mechanics, matrix mechanics, angular momentum and spin, scattering theory, and perturbation theory. It also covers more advanced topics such as quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics.

5. Is Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai suitable for researchers and professionals in the field of quantum mechanics?

Yes, Modern Quantum Mechanics Sakurai is highly regarded by researchers and professionals in the field of quantum mechanics. Its detailed and in-depth coverage of the subject matter makes it a valuable reference for those working in the field. It also includes discussions on current research topics and applications of quantum mechanics in various fields.