1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modular forms, Hecke Operator, translation property

1. Jul 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to follow the attached solution to show that ##T_{p}f(\tau+1)=T_pf(\tau)##

Where ##T_p f(\tau) p^{k-1} f(p\tau) + \frac{1}{p} \sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0}f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##

Where ##M_k(\Gamma) ## denotes the space of modular forms of weight ##k##
    (So we know that ## f(\tau+1)=f(\tau)## )

2. Relevant equations

look above, look below,

3. The attempt at a solution

QUESTION

1) Using ## f(\tau+1)=f(\tau)##, similarly to what has been done for the first term in going from the second line to the first line , see solution below, I don't understand why we can't don't have :

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0}

f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}) ## via ## \tau'=\frac{\tau+j}{p} ## so then we have:

## \frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'+1}{p}) =\frac{1}{p}\sum\limits^{p-1}_{j=0} f(\frac{\tau'}{p}) ##

Solution attached:

heksol.png

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know a lot about modular forms, but I do follow their proof. As for your question, I could see why ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## but I don't see why you think ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your reply.
    I see ##f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}+1)=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})##

But I thought ##f(\frac{\tau+j+1}{p})=f(\frac{\tau+j}{p})## is true too for the same reason that ##f(p(t+1))=f(p(t))##- factoring out the ##p##.. so i thought it would also be true that ## f(\frac{1}{p}(t+1))=f(\frac{1}{p}t) ## and then using this but were we shift ##t ## by ##j##?

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

## f(p(t+1))=f(p(t))## isn't true because of any 'factoring out of ##p##'. It's true because ##f(p(t+1))=f(pt+p)## and p is an integer. If ##f(t+1)=f(t)## then also ##f(t+2)=f(t+1)=f(t)##. So ##f(t+n)=f(t)## for ##n## any integer. ##f## is periodic with period 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted