Exploring Modular Synthesizers: A Discussion

• Thread starter dustytretch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary: Moog%20Patchboard.mp3In summary, this person has a modular synth and has used it in the past. They also built their own signal processor.
dustytretch
Is anyone here into modular synths?
Does anyone here own a modular synth or has heard of them before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
back in the 70s, i used to have fun with the Moog patchboard synth that our Music Department had. had a couple of Teac 3340 4-track tape decks also.

rbj said:
back in the 70s, i used to have fun with the Moog patchboard synth that our Music Department had. had a couple of Teac 3340 4-track tape decks also.

An actual moog modular, wow...

Here's a recent photo of my friend Sudhu attempting to refurbish the Moog I learned to build electronic circuits for, also in the early 70's. We had one of those Teac's and a Sony 4 track in our studio as well!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....225886319911.136598.623064911&type=1&theater

I later built my own signal processor, using some commercial modules and a bunch of my own design. Last time I looked it still worked...

Did you have a question about them?

schip666! said:
Here's a recent photo of my friend Sudhu attempting to refurbish the Moog I learned to build electronic circuits for, also in the early 70's. We had one of those Teac's and a Sony 4 track in our studio as well!

(Not high enough post count for link in quoted post)

I later built my own signal processor, using some commercial modules and a bunch of my own design. Last time I looked it still worked...

Did you have a question about them?

What sort of signal processor?
Envelope follower, pre-amp, effect, audio-CV?

6374_img_20120518_180200_1.jpg

Here is my eurorack modular synth, it is starting to overflow somewhat.

Cool. Who makes those modules?

Here's a funky pic of mine:
modsynth.jpg

As you may see I never got around to labeling anything...but fortunately I made a map and color coded the in/out/control jacks...

Mostly from left to right:
One audio VCO and one fancy VCF, both from Serge Systems I think.
Two more VCF's of my own design, using chips from another synth company.
A ring (balanced) modulator.
Two analog CCD phase shift/delay lines (not very good but kinda fun).
A really crazy pitch shifter (also using CCD delay) hacked out of a cassette tape recorder
that was made to listen to tapes at double speed -- totally whack sound.
Two kinds of distortion circuits.
Four attack-release generators and VCAs
Slow function and noise generators, mixers, envelop followers, and other stuff I don't even remember...

I also made a similar digital controller box based on a (Radio Shack) Trash80. But it has gone the way of the dodo.

You can hear some of the results (circa 1982) here: http://www.etantdonnes.com/Mobsters/

1. What is a modular synthesizer?

A modular synthesizer is a type of electronic music instrument that is made up of individual modules or components, such as oscillators, filters, and amplifiers. These modules can be connected and rearranged in various ways to create unique and customizable sounds.

2. How do modular synthesizers differ from traditional synthesizers?

Traditional synthesizers have a fixed signal path and are often controlled by a keyboard. In contrast, modular synthesizers allow for more flexibility and experimentation as the modules can be connected and controlled in different ways.

3. What are the benefits of using a modular synthesizer?

One of the main benefits of using a modular synthesizer is the ability to create unique and complex sounds that are not possible with traditional synthesizers. They also offer a hands-on and tactile approach to music creation, allowing for more intuitive and spontaneous experimentation.

4. What are some common modules used in modular synthesizers?

Some common modules found in modular synthesizers include oscillators, filters, envelopes, sequencers, and effects. There are also many specialized and unique modules available, allowing for endless possibilities in sound creation.

5. Is modular synthesis difficult to learn?

Like any musical instrument, learning modular synthesis takes time and practice. However, with the abundance of resources available online and a willingness to experiment and learn, it is possible for anyone to grasp the basics of modular synthesis and create their own unique sounds.