Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modular synths

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Is anyone here into modular synths?
    Does anyone here own a modular synth or has heard of them before?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

rbj

back in the 70s, i used to have fun with the Moog patchboard synth that our Music Department had. had a couple of Teac 3340 4-track tape decks also.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    An actual moog modular, wow...

5. May 18, 2012 #4
    Here's a recent photo of my friend Sudhu attempting to refurbish the Moog I learned to build electronic circuits for, also in the early 70's. We had one of those Teac's and a Sony 4 track in our studio as well!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....225886319911.136598.623064911&type=1&theater

I later built my own signal processor, using some commercial modules and a bunch of my own design. Last time I looked it still worked...

Did you have a question about them?

6. May 18, 2012 #5
    What sort of signal processor?
    Envelope follower, pre-amp, effect, audio-CV?

7. May 19, 2012 #6
    6374_img_20120518_180200_1.jpg

Here is my eurorack modular synth, it is starting to overflow somewhat.

8. May 20, 2012 #7
    Cool. Who makes those modules?

Here's a funky pic of mine:
    modsynth.jpg
    As you may see I never got around to labeling anything...but fortunately I made a map and color coded the in/out/control jacks...

Mostly from left to right:
    One audio VCO and one fancy VCF, both from Serge Systems I think.
    Two more VCF's of my own design, using chips from another synth company.
    A ring (balanced) modulator.
    Two analog CCD phase shift/delay lines (not very good but kinda fun).
    A really crazy pitch shifter (also using CCD delay) hacked out of a cassette tape recorder
    that was made to listen to tapes at double speed -- totally whack sound.
    Two kinds of distortion circuits.
    Four attack-release generators and VCAs
    Slow function and noise generators, mixers, envelop followers, and other stuff I don't even remember...

I also made a similar digital controller box based on a (Radio Shack) Trash80. But it has gone the way of the dodo.

You can hear some of the results (circa 1982) here: http://www.etantdonnes.com/Mobsters/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook