1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulo Arithmetic ( Classes )

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve in [tex]K=\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}\cdot\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}[/tex] the following system of equations:

[tex]\begin{cases}
    2^{-}x-3^{-}y=1^{-} & 1^{-}x+2^{-}y=2^{-}\end{cases}[/tex]

Not that the ^- means a number with a bar over it. ( I don't know how to input it in the latex software that I use.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solve this system of equations by using the second equation to get x=2-2y and i substituted it for x in the first equation and i got a solution of S={(-6^-,4^-)}

Is that solution correct??

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I get (4, 4) as the only solution. Since -6 ##\equiv -1## (mod 5) ## \equiv ## 4 (mod 5), I think we arrived at the same thing.

4. May 3, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

As Mark already said, your solution is correct. :smile:

For your information, \bar or \overline will put a bar on top of a symbol.
    Like this: ##\bar{12}## or ##\overline{12}##.

Btw, your set should be ##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}##.

##5\mathbb{Z}## is the set with the number 5 multiplied with any whole number (the 5-folds).

##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}## is the so called quotient set with all 5-folds "divided away".

##A \times B## is the so called cartesian product of sets A and B that consists of ordered pairs.

5. May 3, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the extra information. Too bad my teacher doesn't tell us any of this stuff.

6. May 3, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Ah well, at least we can give some added value then, here on PF. :wink:

7. May 3, 2012 #6
    YEP:redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook