1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MoI of a Sphere using Spherical Coordinates

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1

Ackbach

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniformly distributed sphere about an axis through its center.

2. Relevant equations

I know that
    $$I= \frac{2}{5} M R^{2},$$
    where ##M## is the mass and ##R## is the radius of the sphere. However, for some reason,
    when I do this integration in spherical coordinates, I do not get this result.

3. The attempt at a solution

The density is
    $$ \rho= \frac{M}{V}= \frac{3M}{4 \pi R^{3}}.$$
    Then the moment of inertia is
    $$I= \int r^{2} \,dm= \rho \iiint_{V}r^{2} \,dV
    = \rho \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{ \pi} \int_{0}^{R} r^{4} \sin(\theta) \, dr \, d\theta \, d\phi
    =4 \pi \rho \frac{R^{5}}{5}
    $$
    $$=4 \pi \frac{3M}{4 \pi R^{3}} \frac{R^{5}}{5}= \frac{3}{5} MR^{2}.$$
    Where is my error?

I know, I know: all the derivations of this result I can find split the sphere up into
    disks. I understand those derivations: I want to know where this one is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The ##r## in the moment of inertia integral is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to a given mass element ##dm##. The ##r## in spherical coordinates is the distance to ##dm## from the center of the 2-sphere. The two only agree for mass elements that lie on the equatorial plane.

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

If you really want to use spherical coordinates, then note that the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to a given mass element will be given by ##r_{\perp } = r\sin\theta## hence the moment of inertial integral becomes ##I = \rho \int _{S^{2}}r^{2}\sin^{2}\theta dV = \frac{3}{10}MR^{2} \int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^{3}\theta d\theta = \frac{3}{10}\frac{4}{3}MR^{2} = \frac{2}{5}MR^{2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted