1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molar volume of gas in function of temperature and pressure

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given are two relations for the molar volume. Are they possible? If so, give the formula for v in function of P and T.
    a) dv =R/P dT - RT/P² dP
    b) dv = 2R/P dT - RT/2P² dP

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I integrate dv I get ∫R/P dT - ∫RT/P² dP= RT/P + RT/P (in case a) and 5/4 * RT/P (in case b).
    does this mean they are both 'possible'?

intuitively I would say only a is possible

another thing that struck me - probably resulting from some kind of error I made- was the following discrepancy:
    say v=RT/P then dv=dv/dT dT + dv/dP dP = R/P dT - RT/P² dP.
    So according to this v=RT/P might well be the solution to the integral ∫dv (in the case of a).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The molar volume v is function of P and T: v(T,P). If its first and second partial derivatives exist and continuous its differential is

dv=∂v/∂T dT + ∂v/∂P dp.

an the mixed second partial derivatives are equal:

∂(∂v/∂T)∂P=∂(∂v/∂P)∂T.

The integral of dv is independent of he path taken, v is a "potential", only if that condition holds.

In case of the first example, ∂v/∂T=R/P and ∂v/∂P=-RT/P2. The mixed derivatives are equal.

Now you have ∂v/∂T=R/P, and integrate with respect to T: V=RT/P + integration constant. But that constant can depend on P, so v(T,P)=R/P+f(P). You can find f(P) from the condition that the derivative of v with respect to P has to be -RT/P2:
    ∂v/∂P= -RT/P2+df/dP=-R/P2, so f=constant.

Check if the other dv can be the perfect differential of a potential function.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook