Moment of Inertia: Check My Calcs for Iy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
aaronfue
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I was wanting to see if someone could check my calculations. I've checked out the Iy and Ix in Autodesk Inventor and what I got is wrong.

Here are the links to my images. I apologize, the uploading option is not allowing me to upload the pictures.

http://postimage.org/image/re825r20b/
http://postimage.org/image/vomq1c73f/
http://postimage.org/image/lkdgw1dyv/

Homework Equations



I believe the only one that is wrong is the triangle?

My centroids were all correct, including my areas. So I'm sure my calculations for MOI's are wrong somewhere.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The MOI of the triangle is wrong.
Are you supposed to calculate Iy about the tip of the triangle or about the centroid of the entire figure?
 
SteamKing said:
The MOI of the triangle is wrong.
Are you supposed to calculate Iy about the tip of the triangle or about the centroid of the entire figure?

I was supposed to calculate Iy of the entire figure, but still wanted to calculate each shape. I was able to get the MOI of the triangle: [itex]\frac{1}{36}[/itex]