1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia for composite objects

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the moment of inertia of these composite objects.

I've attached two different composite objects; each rod has length L and mass M.

2. Relevant equations
    I = Icm + MD2
    Long thin rod with rotation axis through centre: Icm = 1/12ML2
    Long thin rod with rotation axis through end: Icm = 1/3ML2

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) For the image on the left:
    I first found the total inertia of the objects: Icm total = 1/12ML2
    Then applied the Parallel Axis Theorem, because the composite object is rotating parallel to the actual axis of rotation: I = 5/12ML2 + 2MD2 (where D is the distance between the object's centre of mass and axis of rotation).
    Feedback on this?

(b) For the image on the right:
    Since one of the rods are going through the axis of rotation, I don't think I need to apply the Parallel Axis Theorem... So I just found the total inertia for both objects based on where their axis of rotation is.

I = ICM axis through centre + ICM axis through end
    = 1/12ML2 + 1/3M(L/2)2
    = 1/12ML2 + 1/3ML2/4
    = 1/6 ML2

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you give some more details about your determination of the ##I_{cm}## for the first image? I don't see how it turns out to be the same as that of a single rod about its center.

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3
    You shouldn't need to use the parallel axis theorem for either situation.
    For part (b), aren't all points on the vertical thin rod at a distance of L/2 from the axis of rotation;
    or in other words where is the center of mass of the vertical rod in part (b)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted