1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a body with linearly increasing density?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    A thin wire of length L and uniformly density ρ is bent into a circular loop with center at O.The moment of inertia of it about a tangential axis lying in the plane of loop is.
    Ans : Mass M is not given,but ρ is given. So M=ρL3->(1) (L3 means L cube,no idea how to post it in that manner!). For a circular loop, we all know the formula for that condition is (3/2)MR square. Applying this in equation for equation (1) will give (3/2)ρL3 x (L square/4∏ square)
    This will give 3ρL raised to 5 / 8∏ square.

But my teacher told the answer is 3ρL cube/8∏square.
    This is not a home work.This is just a practice for me.
    In this,where is my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The wire is thin, not a cube, its volume is not L3 (can be written as [noparse]L3[/noparse], but L^3 is fine, too. Or use LaTeX: [itex]L^3[/itex] becomes [itex]L^3[/itex]).
    I would expect that ρ is given as line density (kg/m), or the cross-section of the wire has to be given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook