1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a cylinder

1. May 1, 2009 #1
    When I am reading a book, I find it is listed that the moment of Inertia of a cylinder is
    MR^2/4 + Ml^2/12

It is a cylinder with rotation axis passing through the curve surface and its centre of mass. And its density is constant. With the circile surface raius = R and height = l

Can anybody show me the procedure of the integration? I have tried several times but fail. I just cannot get that answer. It is not homework but I am interested in the process. You know, usually, moment of Inertia is provided in the book, integration is not required. But I am really curious about it. Could anybody please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi loup! :smile:

Slice the cylinder into discs.

Use the moment of inertia formula for a disc about its diameter, combined with the parallel axis theorem, and integrate. :wink:

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    The problem is I don't know about how to integrate a disc.

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    And I think the integration of disc actually comes from cylinder. I expected once I finished this cylinder I could do the disc.

6. May 2, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Slice it into strips parallel to a diameter, and integrate …

what do you get? :smile:

7. May 2, 2009 #6
    The r requires a cosine and there are more than one variable, what I should do?

8. May 2, 2009 #7
    I cannot use parallel axis theorem. I think it is too tricky.

9. May 2, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? what equation are you using? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook