Moment of Inertia of Bike Wheel

In summary, the person conducted experiments using a road bike wheel and calculated a moment of inertia of 0.17kgm2. They are unsure if this value is accurate and are looking for feedback from others. They also mention that a typical road wheel has a moment of inertia of 0.11kgm2 and ask about the weight of the wheel used in the experiments.
iaing94
Hi, I have conducted a few simple experiments involving a very ordinary, road going bike wheel. I came up with a value for the moment of inertia of 0.17kgm2

I really have no idea if I am in the right ballpark with that value, would anybody be able to enlighten me as to if that is a feasible value?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A typical road wheel weighs about 0.9 kg, and has a diameter of 0.7 m, so a radius of 0.35 m. If all of the weight is concentrated in the circumference (not a bad assumption), then the moment of inertia would be I = m*r^2 = 0.9 * 0.35^2 = 0.11 kg-m^2. So you sound a bit high, but maybe you just have a heavy wheel. My number of 0.9 kg is for a performance road bike. How much does your wheel weigh?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often described as the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of a bike wheel, it can be calculated by taking into account the mass and the radius of the wheel.

3. Why is moment of inertia important for a bike wheel?

Moment of inertia is important for a bike wheel because it affects its rotational motion. A wheel with a high moment of inertia will require more force to accelerate or decelerate, while a wheel with a low moment of inertia will be easier to turn and maneuver.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a bike wheel impact its performance?

The moment of inertia of a bike wheel can impact its performance in several ways. A higher moment of inertia will make it harder to pedal and accelerate, but will also provide more stability at high speeds. On the other hand, a lower moment of inertia will make the bike more responsive and easier to turn, but may also make it less stable at high speeds.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a bike wheel be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a bike wheel can be changed by altering its mass and/or its distance from the axis of rotation. For example, adding weight to the rim of the wheel will increase its moment of inertia, while reducing the size of the wheel will decrease it.