1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of hemispherical shell

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distribution of mass on the hemispherical shell:

z=(R2-x2-y2)1/2

is given by

σ(x,y,z)=(σ0/R2)(x2+y2)

where σ0 is a constant. Find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of the hemispherical shell.
    2. Relevant equations
    I=∫r2dm

3. The attempt at a solution
    r2 is just R2. ∫dm in spherical coordinates is:

σ0R2∫∫sin3θ dθ d(phi)

with boundaries 0 to pi/2 for θ, and 0 to 2pi for phi. The completed definite integral representing the total mass is then:

(4pi/3) σ0R2.

I feel pretty confident about that, since it is given in the back of the book as the first step in the problem. What I don't understand is why the moment of inertia is anything more than just this value times another R2 to give:

(4pi/3) σ0R4.

The answer is supposed to be:

(16pi/15) σ0R4.

So, I'm guessing there's something more to the calculation of moment of inertia. I've been looking through the different derivations of moments but can't see how to get the right factor. I could use a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Oh, I understand why I can't do it that way. r in the moment of inertia formula is measured from the center of mass and is not equal to R in this case.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    What are the units of sigma0?

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    None given, but the sigma function is a mass per area so I guess it represents an average mass density, or "baseline" mass density that then varies according to the more general function.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    Yay, got it.

∫∫r2σdA

r in the formula for moment of inertia can be put into spherical coordinates and integrated over the whole hemisphere (also in spherical).

σ0R4∫∫sin5dθ d(phi)

The first integral makes the 8/15 factor needed and the second of course is 2 pi. I guess this was a fairly simple problem after all.

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6
    I follow this, but do you mean to say rotational axis, not center of mass? The center of mass would be a point. If r is distance from the rotational axis then we can let r=p*sin[itex]\phi[/itex], or in this case r=R*sin[itex]\phi[/itex].

I follow this and it makes sense, but when I integrated sin^5[itex]\phi[/itex], I got

-5 Cos[x] 5 Cos[3 x] Cos[5 x]
    --------- + ----------- - ----------

which, when integrated from [o,∏/2], equals zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook