1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia / Section Modulus for a cruciform (rectangular cross)

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a formula to help me find either the Moment of Inertia for a cruciform (rectangular cross) or better yet, its Section Modulus (S).

Please see attached image.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Per forum rules, you must show some attempt at a solution before we can help.

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    Jay,

Wouldn't this require parallel axis theorem?

Or without getting into that could you just say [(b*h^2)/6] + [(h*b^2)/6] <-- (wait, isn't this the same as perpendicular axis theorem?)

where b is the length from end to end of the cruciform, and h is the width of the segment?

(for section modulus)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't really need the parallel axis theorem because the cross section is symmetric, so you can just take the moment of inertia about the centroid, which is [(b*h^3)/12] + [(h*b^3)/12] (actually, a bit less, because you have to take out that small square where the rectangles cross). But to get the section modulus, your calculation is not correct, you have to take the total I and divide it by b/2. Note that if b is much greater than h, that first term is insignificant, and essentially the moment of inertia approximates hb^3/12, and the section modulus approximates hb^2/6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?