1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia spinning disk integration

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to calculate the moment of inertia of a spinning disk via integration. I'm aware of the perpedicular axis theorem, but I want to integrate.

2. Relevant equations
    I = ∫r^2dm

3. The attempt at a solution

if I set my coordinate axis op so that the origin of the xy plane lies in the center of my disk, and I decide to rotate the disk about the x axis, then I figure r in this case is equal to y and I integrate along the x axis from -R to R.

So I set up ∫∫y^2dydx, which I can change to ∫∫r*y^2drdθ. y = rsin(θ), so

∫∫r^3*sin(θ)^2drdθ, where the limits of integration are 0< r < 2R (R = max radius), 0 < θ < 2PI

I look up the integral of sin(x) and I get x/2 - sin(2x), so I think my answer to this integral should be (PI/2)R^4. Of course the answer should be (PI/4)R^4. I don't understand what I did wrong. I think I know how to integrate so I assume something is wrong with my set-up.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ShamelessGit! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    no, 0 < r < R :wink:

not following this :confused:

can you show your working?​

(btw, learn your trigonometric identities … sin2x = (1 - cos2x)/2, which is easier! :smile:)

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    I made a typo when I was giving the limits of integration. The way I set it up the limit of integration for r should be -r to r.

And also I figured out that when I integrate properly, I do get the right answer.

The mistake I made was that I changed y to sqrt(R^2-x^2) in my original calculation before realizing that that was unnecessary, and when I changed it back I got r*R^2 instead of r^3 because I got confused about which R was a constant and which was a variable. So I got R to the right power, but of course I got a factor of 1/2 instead of 1/4.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    I made a type when trying to fix the previous typo. Yes the limit is only from 0 to r. Srry about that. I didn't make that mistake on the paper when I was actually trying to integrate

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook