1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia Tensor for a Flat Rigid Body

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. Problem
    I need to find the principal moments of inertia about the center of mass of a flat rigid 45 degree right triangle with uniform mass density.

2. Useful Formulae
    [tex]I_{xx}=\int_{V} \rho (r^{2}-x^{2}) dV[/tex]
    [tex]I_{jk}=\int_{V} \rho (r^{2} \delta_{jk} - x_{j} x_{k}) dV[/tex]

3. Attempt at a Solution
    My strategy is to set my axes so that the hypotenuse of the triangle is centered on the x-axis, with the 'right-corner' on the positive y-axis. That way, I can find the elements of the moment of inertia tensor [tex]I_{jk}[/tex] about the origin, and then translate it to the CM (1/3 up the y-axis) using the parallel-axis theorem.

If the length of one side of the triangle is "a", then using the equation for an increasing/decreasing line for the integration boundaries:

[tex]y=\pm \frac{1}{2} x + \sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]I_{xx} = \rho \int^{\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}}_{0} \int^{- \frac{1}{2} x + \sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}}_{\frac{1}{2} x + \sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}} y^{2} dy dx = -\frac{25}{192} a^{2} [/tex]

That should be the "x,x" element in the Moment of Inertia tensor, right?

Basically, am I setting up my integrals correctly?

(If so, I can proceed with calculating all nine tensor elements, and then diaganolizing the tensor, and transforming it to the center of mass, right?)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?