Moment of Inertia using Triple Integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
jj2443
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Compute the moment of inertia around the z-axis of the solid unit box [0,1]x[0,1]x[0,1] with density given by [itex]\delta[/itex]=x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]+z[itex]^{2}[/itex].


Homework Equations


I=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex] dV


The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the distance r[itex]^{2}[/itex] from the z-axis would be x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I don't know how to determine the bounds and the order of the three integrals. Could someone please explain to me how to determine which order I should integrate, and then how I go about finding the bounds of integration for each of the three integrals.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since none of the boundaries on your volume is dependent on each other you can just write it as a simple 'volume' integral if you want to think of it that way, as if you're finding the volume of the cube but with the other terms involved: [itex]r^{2}[/itex] and [itex]{\delta}[/itex]

So in my mind it should be set up as follows:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}(x^{2}+y^{2})(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2})dzdydx[/tex]

The order of integration won't matter.
 
Oh, that's much easier than I was trying to make it. Thank you!