Multivariable Calculus Triple Integration Problem

In summary: That means that every point in that plane has the same value of z. So a good place to start might be to draw the plane z=y in the xy-plane. Then we can think about what values of y and z to include in our bounds for the integral.In summary, the conversation discusses expressing an iterated integral as a triple integral and in different orders. The region of integration is described as a parabolic surface with boundaries of z=y, x=0, x=1-y^2, y=0, and y=1. The conversation also mentions the importance of labeling and sketching the region to better understand the integral.
mathstudent192

Homework Statement

Express the iterated integral ∫[0,1]∫[0,1-y^2]∫[0,y] f(x,y,z)dzdxdy
a. as a triple integral (i.e., describe the region of integration);
b. as an iterated integral in the order z, y, x;
c. as an iterated integral in the order y, z, x:

The Attempt at a Solution

so would writing (0<=z<=y) (0<=x<=1-y^2) (0<=y<=1) be sufficient for part a.

for part b. i got ∫[0,1] ∫[0,√1-x] ∫[0,y] which i think is correct.

for part c. however i had difficulty in changing the order because when i graph the dz and dy bounds to switch them, dy is in terms of x and I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) A triple integral usually has a triple-integration sign in it.
You are also asked to describe the region of integration - what shape it is? Can you put it in words?
It can help to sketch it out. Though your notes may have a standard approach to how you are supposed to describe the regions.

Understanding this part will help you with the rest.

would this be an accurate graphing?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 449
Don't forget to label important parts of the sketch ... like where are the bits that are equal to one?
Off context: you appear to have sketched the parabolic surface x=1-y^2 inside 0<z<1 ... is that correct?

Will that give you the integral that you started with?

ah i see I graphed the z component incorrectly. I'm having trouble visualizing/drawing the 0<z<y part of the graph

[itex]0\le z \le y[/itex] is a plane.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions of multiple variables.

2. What is a triple integration problem?

A triple integration problem involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating a function over a three-dimensional region. It requires the use of three nested integrals, one for each of the three variables in the function.

3. What are the steps to solve a triple integration problem?

The steps to solve a triple integration problem are as follows:

• 1. Determine the limits of integration for each variable.
  • 2. Set up the triple integral with the appropriate limits and integrand.
  • 3. Evaluate the innermost integral with respect to the innermost variable.
  • 4. Repeat the process for the remaining integrals, working from the inside out.
  • 5. Simplify the final result to get the volume of the three-dimensional shape.

4. What are some common applications of triple integration?

Triple integration has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the mass and center of mass of a three-dimensional object, determining the probability of a three-dimensional event, and finding the volume of a solid with varying density.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving multivariable calculus triple integration problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving triple integration problems is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. Make sure to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus and familiarize yourself with the properties and techniques of integration. Additionally, working through a variety of problems and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and teachers can also aid in improving your skills.