1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentof inertia and center of mass

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    momentof inertia and center of mass!!!

in book of serway : he says moment of inertia of a body is m(r^2).---->(1)
    is mass of the body and r is the distance of the body.
    but for a rigid body we will divide into particles of very small masses so i = E(Mi * (Ri)^2)
    E() is submission function to number if i Th particles.
    and he says if we decrease this mi or delta m i to very small amount
    so I = lim(mi->0) mi*(ri)^2 which will equal integration( r^2 dm).
    SO WHAT DID HE DO IF I SOLVE THE INTEGRATION IT WILL BE I=MR^2 the same as the first equation(1) !!!!?
    and also i have the same problem in center of mass
    he says if we want to find x coordinate of center of mass so:
    x=E(mi*xi)/M and again if we deal with a rigid body of infinite of particles it will be :
    x=lim(mi->0) (mi*xi)/M = integration( x dm)/M
    so what!!! if we solve this integration it will be xcm= (x* M)/M
    so xcm=x (and u dont have x because x is xcm that u want to find so what did he do with this stupid integration !!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    Re: momentof inertia and center of mass!!!

and also why did he make it integration( x dm)/M it seems tome as as mass in changing, but mass is constant for this particles!!and even dont we get the constants out of integrtion soit would be xcm=x* integration(dm)/M so it would be 1=1!!!
    and also in I=intefration(r^2 dm) why did he only change mi to dm and not also r^2 i mean he made the r is equal for all mass particles!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. Dec 28, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I = mr2 is true for a point mass, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation.
    No. In general it's not true that I = mR2 for a rigid body. It would be true if all the mass is at the same distance from the axis.
    Careful. Σ(xi*mi) ≠ Σ(xi)*Σ(mi), except in special cases.

5. Dec 28, 2009 #4

so r is a function in terms of variable mass right!?
    like when i say impulse is integration(f dt) so that means as time chnages the force changes ,soin inertia it means as mass changes!!? the r changes!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook