Momentof inertia and center of mass

In summary, Serway discusses the concept of moment of inertia and center of mass in his book. He states that the moment of inertia is a measure of a body's resistance to rotational motion. He also discusses how a rigid body can be divided into particles with very small masses, and how the moment of inertia can be calculated for a point mass. He then explains how I = mR2 does not always hold for a rigid body, and how center of mass can be difficult to determine for an object with infinite mass. Finally, he discusses how xcm=x and u don't have x because x is xcm that u want to find, and why
The Trice
momentof inertia and center of mass!

in book of serway : he says moment of inertia of a body is m(r^2).---->(1)
is mass of the body and r is the distance of the body.
but for a rigid body we will divide into particles of very small masses so i = E(Mi * (Ri)^2)
E() is submission function to number if i Th particles.
and he says if we decrease this mi or delta m i to very small amount
so I = lim(mi->0) mi*(ri)^2 which will equal integration( r^2 dm).
SO WHAT DID HE DO IF I SOLVE THE INTEGRATION IT WILL BE I=MR^2 the same as the first equation(1) !?
and also i have the same problem in center of mass
he says if we want to find x coordinate of center of mass so:
x=E(mi*xi)/M and again if we deal with a rigid body of infinite of particles it will be :
x=lim(mi->0) (mi*xi)/M = integration( x dm)/M
so what! if we solve this integration it will be xcm= (x* M)/M
so xcm=x (and u don't have x because x is xcm that u want to find so what did he do with this stupid integration !)

Physics news on Phys.org

and also why did he make it integration( x dm)/M it seems tome as as mass in changing, but mass is constant for this particles!and even don't we get the constants out of integrtion soit would be xcm=x* integration(dm)/M so it would be 1=1!
and also in I=intefration(r^2 dm) why did he only change mi to dm and not also r^2 i mean he made the r is equal for all mass particles!

Last edited:

The Trice said:
in book of serway : he says moment of inertia of a body is m(r^2).---->(1)
is mass of the body and r is the distance of the body.
I = mr2 is true for a point mass, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation.
but for a rigid body we will divide into particles of very small masses so i = E(Mi * (Ri)^2)
E() is submission function to number if i Th particles.
and he says if we decrease this mi or delta m i to very small amount
so I = lim(mi->0) mi*(ri)^2 which will equal integration( r^2 dm).
SO WHAT DID HE DO IF I SOLVE THE INTEGRATION IT WILL BE I=MR^2 the same as the first equation(1) !?
No. In general it's not true that I = mR2 for a rigid body. It would be true if all the mass is at the same distance from the axis.
and also i have the same problem in center of mass
he says if we want to find x coordinate of center of mass so:
x=E(mi*xi)/M and again if we deal with a rigid body of infinite of particles it will be :
x=lim(mi->0) (mi*xi)/M = integration( x dm)/M
so what! if we solve this integration it will be xcm= (x* M)/M
so xcm=x (and u don't have x because x is xcm that u want to find so what did he do with this stupid integration !)
Careful. Σ(xi*mi) ≠ Σ(xi)*Σ(mi), except in special cases.

so r is a function in terms of variable mass right!?
like when i say impulse is integration(f dt) so that means as time chnages the force changes ,soin inertia it means as mass changes!? the r changes!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a point mass is calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. For an extended object, the moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or surface.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in rotational motion?

Moment of inertia plays a crucial role in rotational motion as it determines how much torque is needed to change the rotational velocity of an object. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to change their rotational motion compared to objects with smaller moments of inertia.

4. What is the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass of an object is the point where the object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object can be balanced without toppling over, and it follows the laws of conservation of momentum and inertia.

5. How is the center of mass of an object determined?

The center of mass of an object can be determined by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. Alternatively, it can also be found by balancing the object on a pivot point and marking the point where it balances.